Custom Cage Levels and Shelves?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siren

I have this cage by Prevue and absolutely love it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076564ZFW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The only thing I do NOT love, is that the two shelves and upper level floor are made of plastic that has a lip over the edge. We're currently using fleece to line the shelves and it is an absolute b**** to change the bedding because you can't just wrap the fleece around and binder clip it to the edge, you have to pull it down over the edge, tuck it under and binder clip it to the under side. It's ridiculously difficult, and even though this cage has fantastic wide doors that make cleaning a breeze, I have to literally shove my body inside the cage to reach the places I need to put the binder clips and I am 100% over it.

That said, I saw someone suggest contacting Martinscages.com about getting some sturdy metal ramps made. Does anyone know if they could perhaps build a couple of metal shelves and an upper level floor out of sturdy mesh kinda like a cookie cooling sheet? I checked out the website but didn't see any section for custom orders, has anyone ever made a custom order that can tell me how to go about it?

I would greatly appreciate any info anyone might have about how to get better shelves made, either by Martinscages or some other company that you may know of! Thanks!

I am sure they can.
Phone them and discuss it with them
However what they make will be wire so it will need to be covered with a solid surface such as a piece of thick linoleum, coroplast or if a smaller level - a dollar store dish drain tray cut to fit and attached using cable ties
therefore this may not work for what you want

Covering wire floors with just fleece is not good enough

Last edited:
The bottom floor on the prevue cage is a wire floor that I covered with plastic needlepoint canvas and zip tied down. You can see it in the pic.
I would be doing the same for any shelves I have made before putting the fleece bedding over them.

I have been leaving that bottom floor unlined with just the canvas on top of the wire. That level is where their food is and is where they urinate (they never pee anywhere else, I have a UV flashlight, I checked so I could put their litter boxes in the most effective place lol). They really don't spend much time down there, all the fun stuff is on the shelves and upper level and that's where they play and nest and such. It's been really nice for clean up because I put waterproof mattress pad material in the droppings tray beneath that floor and change that out daily and we have zero smell because of it.
Do you think that needlepoint canvas should be lined with fleece as well or will their feet be ok with that very small grid (it's less than 1/4" spacing on that canvas)?

Attachments

• 20190121_145514.jpg
    20190121_145514.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 166
Back