Critter Nation double unit problems..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkRider2k3

I recently got a critter nation double unit that I'm having problems with.

When you go to make the base (with the wheels), I have the 2 rectangle sides with wheels attached, the bottom to bars with multiple holes installed, and the wire mesh for holding items on.

However, I'm stuck with the top bars. First off, they only gave me 4x multiple hole bars instead of 2x multiple, 2x single.

Secondly, they say to use these.. small rectangle holders:

IMAG0364.jpg

but I don't know what to do/how to install them.

Here is the problem I'm facing:

IMAG0363.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

As you can see, that bar is not flush with the cage door.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is this going to be a major problem? Can I continue installation of the cage with this the way it is?

2. Will it be a structural problem. I don't want anything to happen to the ratties...

I'm just worried because this doesn't look like the pics.... and I don't want the cage having problems that could possibly hurt them.

Huh. I do not remember any little metal rectangles when I put mine together. I also remember mine being flush, and I didn't have to do anything special. I just followed the directions.

Is it possible you assembled the base upside down or something?

nope, because the rubber grooves for the wheels to slide in are only one the one side... and the cage door slides down perfectly into place in the slots..

Send your pictures to Midwest. Those base panels don't look right to me. The top part of it (where the door sits) should be flush with the bottom of the door.

I contacted midwest about this. But do you guys think this is going to be a structural issue? Would it hurt me to set the cage up and put my rats in it? or should I just wait for them to respond?

The gap between the doors and the bottom shouldn't be there. It's possible rats could fit through there. Have you tried using a rubber mallet to hammer the pieces together? In the picture, you're also missing the bottom grate.

Just a note this is an incomplete cage setup. I only have the bottom shelving unit, and the front door on. I do not have the sides, or the bottom wire mesh/shelf on.

I know that, with the bottom wire mesh on, rats won't be able to squeeze through anything.. but it's still not flush..

I'll take a picture tomorrow with the bottom installed.. I don't want to install the whole thing yet though because, as much as I'd love this for my rats, my g/f has a LOT more and so this is for her and needs to fit in my car... haha

It should be flush without the bottom in. Without it being flush, there's going to be a gap between the tray and the doors, your rats may be able to squeeze out or push the tray out.

I figured out where the rectangle things are supposed to go, though:

0nPQ6.png

So I got an email in from them, sending me the picture you posted.

I'm emailing back but so far.. not resolved.. doing it the way they are saying is going to leave that gap...

edit:

the tube is called a "support tube".. and apparently that tube helps support the door.. so now I'm thinking that it's a new design and doesn't go all the way across the cage door bottom...

There's a support beam on my cages as well but there's no gap. There's also a grate on the bottom where the tray sits (not the storage shelf on the bottom) - maybe that's the part you're missing.

Well here is the finished install:

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

The bottom bar still isn't the same as most I've seen, but this is apparently the way it goes now. I'm missing the support tube in the pictures that goes along the bottom bar, but it's not really causing any structural issues, and with how sturdy it is, it's not going to fall apart.. and as long as the g/f is happy, so am I! I think it turned out great :).

I actually think that they way that you have the bottom bar there is better (as long as no one can get out... what does it look like from the inside of the cage? Is the bottom grate of the cage above that bar?). Anyway, the reason: On my CN where the bar is flush with the bottom of the front panel, urine and random rattie grossness accumulates there. If that modification is actually the new way it goes on the new CNs, I think it might be a really good improvement. It does look strange to me though.

The rest of the cage looks really good though!

crumbilina said:
I actually think that they way that you have the bottom bar there is better (as long as no one can get out... what does it look like from the inside of the cage? Is the bottom grate of the cage above that bar?). Anyway, the reason: On my CN where the bar is flush with the bottom of the front panel, urine and random rattie grossness accumulates there. If that modification is actually the new way it goes on the new CNs, I think it might be a really good improvement. It does look strange to me though.

The rest of the cage looks really good though!

The grate is above that bar. It hooks onto the door (the holes in the grate) so it's flush with the door. And that's good to know it's an improvement!

And I can't take credit for how it looks... the g/f who is also on here set everything up since these are her ratties. I'm kinda jealous she has it even though I got it for her birthday... I like it a lot hahahaha...

And it's funny how in her old cage, it was like "that's a lot of rats... my gosh!" (having 5..).. now it's like "where are they all?!?!"

Back