Crass/Paya Intros - Ugh.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSCN0083.jpg

That's pretty normal, that small scuffle. Same with the tiny scratch/bite mark. It could have been much worse. I would still keep at it. The most important thing is try not to end it on a bad note. If you end it each time it's bad, Crass will pick up on that and make it bad so you can end it. Can you try a more comfortable spot? Maybe table top or on the couch, while they are sitting on you?

jorats said:
That's pretty normal, that small scuffle. Same with the tiny scratch/bite mark. It could have been much worse. I would still keep at it. The most important thing is try not to end it on a bad note. If you end it each time it's bad, Crass will pick up on that and make it bad so you can end it. Can you try a more comfortable spot? Maybe table top or on the couch, while they are sitting on you?

Yeah, I did continue for awhile after that I have a coupe more vids:

Those two were the only scuffles, and I waited until they had been ignoring each other for awhile to end it. I did discover that Crass is a lot more freaked out by water than Paya.

I could use the dining room table (but only while my grandparents are out of town, they'll be back this weekend), or there's a small neutral couch and a bigger familiar couch.

What I've noticed is that with water in the tub, Crass won't attack Paya, even if it's just a half inch, immediately drained out once they're in the tub. The other thing is that with water Paya seems a lot less freaked out, she'll actually hang out in the deep and before it drains out, and she's more likely to wander around rather than just sit huddled in a corner. I don't know if this is because she doesn't mind water in general, or if she knows Crass wont venture into the wet part of the tub so she feels safe there, or just more confidant because Crass is too freaked out to attack.

jorats said:
Wow. Crass really hates Paya. How about getting a younger girl for Paya and let Crass live out her days as a crabby old girl?

Yeah... It's hard to picture Crass ever tolerating another rat at this point... The only reason I bothered trying again is because I feel bad for Paya, and I was hoping Crass had mellowed a bit... Is it even worth the stress at this point?
I would love to get a couple young boys for Paya (both my girls are spayed, so no worries) but it's just not an option with my financial situation right now. (I moved across the country with Dave, my stepdad, so he could spend a few years with his family, but he hasn't found a job yet, and I can't even bother looking for a job until he has one and we know where we're gonna be living because I can't drive.) So until I have a stable income (possibly months away) or I can build up a substantial vet fund selling hammocks (doubtful) then I can't justify getting more rats. I feel bad for Paya, I got her to be friends with Crass and I can't seem to make that happen. :sad3:

Well I can say that smothering the rats that do not like each other with pudding does NOT work. I think they need something different but crass has no fear anywhere lol I tried a lot of things with my two and well they are happier alone....

I am still stunned with jo saying get a friend for paya haha I could feel the sadness in her after I gave up on my two lol that means something if she says that :)

Crass is scared of a tub with water though I don't think she got paya then.

Here's something to try... My dad did this against my advice with two male rats who were abused by their former owners, lived an awful life, terrorized by kittens, eaten by mites... so they were grumpy and worried rats.
My dad would put them together on his bed but each time one went for the other, he would put his hand in between, not letting the big guy even smell the other big guy. He would just calmly say no, and kind of push them away. He did this every single time for over a week. And it worked out. I kept telling him, Dad...they need to meet, or you'll never get through this step. But nope, The rats still smell each other. They have an amazing sense of smell, so they ended up associating the smell with "nothing". No touching, no confrontation, nothing and I think that's why they got passed it.
Give that a try?

Back