Covering wire surfaces

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by genie.kim8, Nov 15, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Nov 15, 2018 #1

genie.kim8

genie.kim8

genie.kim8

Hi!
    I am looking at cages to get for my rats when I get them soon. I am getting two males.
    I was planning to get the single Critter Nation but found out that it does not ship to Australia, where I live.
    I found a slightly smaller but still suitable cage but the only problem is that the shelves are wire. It is the biggest cage I have been able to find where I live so far.
    I know that wire floors are not good for rats but is there a way to cover them to make them safe for their feet?
    I’m hoping there’s a way because other than that problem this cage seems to be the best.
    Thanks!

2. Nov 15, 2018 #2

BoBa

BoBa

BoBa

To prevent your rats from getting bumblefoot, you could cover the wire with solid flooring for example wood (might get a bit smelly), a plastic needle point canvas or plexiglass with some cloth over, doormats (the ones from IKEA are popular although my rats liked to chew it up), fleece is great too. I wouldn't recommend towels because the string coming out of it can wrap around their feet and cut off the circulation.
    Hope that helped!

Noel likes this.
  3. Nov 15, 2018 #3

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

I have covered large wire levels with a piece of thick linoleum cut to fit - the thickness makes it mask the wire underneath
    and covered small levels with a dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and attached with zip ties
    Both types of flooring will occasionally need to be replaced - as they are chewed or eventually urine soaked

Some people have cut a sheet/piece of chloroplast to fit and used zip ties to attach it.

Once you have created solid floors, then you can cover them with fleece etc if you want

See the two types of floor covering below in Hannah's old cage and a dish drain tray

Sept 2017 Hannahs cage.jpg

dish drain tray.jpg

Noel likes this.
  4. Nov 15, 2018 #4

genie.kim8

genie.kim8

genie.kim8

Thank you so much!
    Sorry for all the questions but I was also wondering if a cage can be too big.
    I found a much bigger cage that can fit almost 10 rats but is that too big for my two males?
    There aren’t many good cage options here where I live

5. Nov 16, 2018 #5

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

It is impossible for a cage to be too large for rats ..... for them, the more space the better

Noel likes this.
  6. Nov 16, 2018 #6

genie.kim8

genie.kim8

genie.kim8

Ok thanks

7. Nov 23, 2018 #7

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

I've used heavy bath mats to cover wire flooring.