Covering cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxymachado

On another Forum someone told me I shouldn't be covering my cage. I'm going to have pictures at the bottom of what I'm doing, I cover the cage because my rats are not comfortable eating or drinking while they're exposed. I've only had them for a little over a week they're feeder rats so they're not socialized at all, we're working on it though. I was told that they need high ventilation, that covering their cages bad for them. It's very loosely covered but it's just a question if anybody has any answers. Thank you!

P.S. I know their cage is too small, I figured that out once I put it together. I'll be working on it within the next week though.

20171209_130500_Film1.jpg

20171209_130441_Film1.jpg

covering the cage is not a good idea for the reasons you stated ..... with lots of places to hide, tubes, a house, hammocks etc they should soon feel safe. ...... are there any predators in your home like dogs or cats?

In case you are unaware they need a cage at least 4 cubic feet in size with a base at least 30 in by 18 in and height .... but bigger is better
lots of ideas if you check out the habitat section

Yeah, I have two Pomeranians, they have met on the bed during playtime/bonding. But before I covered it with a towel(only the sides,and sometimes half the front), they weren't drinking any water, the minute I covered it I heard drinking for almost twenty mins. On Thurs. I'm going to make them a double decker bin cage with the small cage as a third top level. So then ill be able to put in use all the hides and toys I ordered for them that won't fit now. But till then is the loose towel ok to make them feel safe?

Screenshot_2017-12-07-16-07-44.jpg

Back