Could this be a heart problem? Or hiccups? Vids are attached! Please help if you can :’-)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufintherat

Hi everyone! It took me forever to figure out how to start a thread (embarrassing, I know), but I finally figured it out! So hi :)

I have one rat at the moment named Mufin. She’s around 1 year and nine months old! She’s a very sweet and cuddly girl.

Every once in awhile she’ll do this weird body twitch thing. Her lungs are fine and she doesn’t make any noises when she’s doing it. It seems involuntary and it probably happens about once a month. When I take her to the vet they say that everything seems fine, but I’m just curious if anyone can explain what this is?? I’m worried it’s her heart because her whole body moves, but I’ve also read about rats getting hiccups? I haven’t seen any videos of rats with hiccups though, so I don’t really have a reference point!

This first video shows the issue I’m describing:

The second video I’ve attached is a comparison, and was taken about 1 minute after she stopped:

If anyone can help me out I would be so grateful! :’-) Thank you so much!

In my experience they can be a symptom of myco and if it happens frequently it will stop if the rat is treated with antibiotics for myco

In my experience they can be a symptom of myco and if it happens frequently it will stop if the rat is treated with antibiotics for myco

Hmm, that could definitely explain some of her other symptoms! Thank you so much :) Are there different kinds of antibiotics for it? If so, which one would you recommend?

Awesome, thank you! And I’ll check out the reference thread too, thanks again :)

She has a few other mild symptoms that aren’t extreme, but are still kind of concerning. She sneezes fairly frequently throughout the day (doesn’t have porphyrin staining though) and she sometimes makes noises when she’s sniffing something in the air. The sniffing noises sound a little wheezy, but she only does them every once in awhile. Most of the time she won’t make any noise and her lungs sound clear!

Back