Could my rat be pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasmasage

I'm worried that my rat, Funny, might be pregnant. I got her and my other rat, Sloshy, from Petco (my dad didn't want to wait long enough to contact a breeder and decided to get them from there) 11 days ago. I first suspected that she may be overweight because of her belly, and the amount that she ate, but the firmness of her belly worries me and I'd like to be sure just in case. The attached image got flipped somehow, and I can provide different angles if needed. Thank you in advance!
IMG_4383.JPG

Another angle would help. Like from her back and side if you could ?

Hmm.. She 'could' be preggers but she looks a lot like my Venus who is a saved feeder. Her stomach looks similar and when I fell her tummy she tenses so it seems harder then it really is.. Keep an eye on her to see if she gets bigger and starts to groom off the fur around her nipples. I know mamas will remove that fur so babies can nurse better.. I don't know if this helped at all but.. I hope it did help at least a little bit..

Hmm.. She 'could' be preggers but she looks a lot like my Venus who is a saved feeder. Her stomach looks similar and when I fell her tummy she tenses so it seems harder then it really is.. Keep an eye on her to see if she gets bigger and starts to groom off the fur around her nipples. I know mamas will remove that fur so babies can nurse better.. I don't know if this helped at all but.. I hope it did help at least a little bit..

Thank you for your help! I’ll definitely keep a close eye on her.

Cute girl :)
She does not necessarily look pregnant right now
Was she in with boys?

If you think she is pregnant you could weigh her at the same time each day with a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram and has a tare function (an important tool for rat owners), record the weight and see if there is a pattern

btw the Reference Thread has a lot of useful information, I hope you check it out
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Cute girl :)
She does not necessarily look pregnant right now
Was she in with boys?

If you think she is pregnant you could weigh her at the same time each day with a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram and has a tare function (an important tool for rat owners), record the weight and see if there is a pattern

btw the Reference Thread has a lot of useful information, I hope you check it out
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/
Sadly, I have little to no information about where exactly my rats originated, as my dad got them from Petco despite my asking him to get them from a breeder. From what I heard, they had just arrived at the store that day, and I don’t know where they originated from. They were in an enclosure that was apparently labeled as containing “young rats”, and they are small, so I definitely hope that they were both separated from the males in the litter at wherever they were bred. I doubt that pregnancy is the case, but I want to make sure so I’m not unprepared on the off chance that she is pregnant. I will try weighing her, although she is very squirmy and active and getting her to stay still is hard. Thank you for your help! :)

Back