Could (ill) rabbits make my rats sick?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ratturtles

Last night while I was at work by mom came home with two baby bunnies. I didn't think much of it until this morning they told me one of them is peeing red. They think it's probably just pigment from something it ate and said they've only seen it happen once, but I'm starting to worry about if the bunny is sick, and if so if it could make either of my rattie girls sick. So my question is can diseases be passed from rabbits to rats? And if so what diseases should I watch out for in specific? The bunnies are being housed inside, so if there are any illnesses it's likely my rattie girls have already been exposed to them unfortunately. :(

(Also would just like to add the bunny seems fine and does not seem to be in any pain. If the behavior continues we will be taking it to the vet.)

Edit: The bunnies were bought from our local zoo. They breed rabbits and then sell the offspring to families in the summer. The bunnies there (in my opinion) are not very well taken of so it's entirely possible one could be sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk but "Ratturtles" Doesthat suggest you have both pets? Just curious since i do. I foster rats by giving unadoptable rescues a permanent home, and i hatched 5 Painteds i saw the mother lay and bury since she picked a terrible location. I originally intended to release them immediately, but messed it up by keeping them too long, so now i have 2 which i kept, both of which are comfortable and healthy, but are available to a good home since they will outlive me by decades, lol. Sorry, just had to mention it. Idk if you disease in question is zoonotic, but im sure someone else will know.

But after reading.... It sounds like it might be a urinary tract infection, which I believe wouldn't be transmissible by air anyway, so no worries. If it doesn't clear up itself in a few days i would see a vet. Bunnies are tricky to raise, impossible if they haven't been weened yet. Well, not impossible, but extremely difficult. Babies need a gut bacteria from the mother, which the baby eats from her poop (i think), so that he can digest grass. I forget exactly. Also, babies csn easily die from stress, literally be "scared to death!" If the baby start flopping around and spinning over and over, sort of rolling head first, its what i call their "death roll". They usually die from whatever is causing this. Im Imferring to wild baby bunnies here though, not domesticated pets.

If you think the baby rabbits may be ill, please take them to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rabbits. Given your description of the circumstances, a wellness check might be a good idea.
As you likely know rabbits have complex needs. https://rabbit.org/ is a good site and they also have a facebook group

Follow good hygiene practices, wash your hands and your rats should be fine
Rats should never be mixed with other species because they are either predators or prey, so you will need to make sure the rabbits are kept far away from the ratties.

Back