Cost to spay?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadamBelladonna

I'd really like to get both of my girls spayed at some point, slowly saving up. I know this reduces risk of mammary tumors and I would also like to open up that CN and mix the gals with the guys at last but I have no clue how much I should be saving up for. In general, how much would a vet charge for 2 spays (USD)?

Erk, with my vet, its about $350 per spay - the actual procedure is $225, but they nickle and dime for pre-surgery consultation, meds, and whatnot.

I did get a spay done for just $85 at a spay/neuter clinic, but they ended up losing several of my rescue's rats with the anesthetic. Unfortunately I won't go to them again. There's some things you shouldn't go too cheap on.

I pay 65.00 for spays right now. My vet is amazing to my rats. I have paid as much as 209 for emergency spays. It just varies with each vet. I would check for reference from people not just good one online and also email the vets and ask them if they work on rodents, how many they have done? and what the charges are. That is how i found my vet.

WOW ok it's gonna be a while then haha. I had read somewhere that it was roughly the same price as spaying a cat, and my mom got her cats spayed for around $100 apiece. Well that just really sucks...still, I'd like to get it done if possible.

Some vets do a "package deal" if you bring more than one rat in for surgery - it might be worth asking about.

And if the cost is still too high to get both done at the same time, you can get one done, recoup the money, and get the other one spayed later. A spay is going to help regardless of when its done, although the benefits do decrease over time.

MadamBelladonna said:
WOW ok it's gonna be a while then haha. I had read somewhere that it was roughly the same price as spaying a cat, and my mom got her cats spayed for around $100 apiece. Well that just really sucks...still, I'd like to get it done if possible.

A lot of vets heavily subsidize the cost of spaying and neutering cats and dogs to help control populations because many people wouldn't do it otherwise. They do make their money back over the course of the cat's or dog's life, something that's very hard to do with a rat without running the risk of making vet care inaccessible to most people.

I pay $199 right now plus a $59 exam fee per rat but I've paid as high as $434 plus an exam (PLUS sales tax because I live in Canada) depending on the clinic and where I lived. Prices vary so much, it's best to call around and find a good vet in your area and see how much they charge. The cheapest isn't always the best option and you should ask about the vet's experience as well as their anesthesia and pain management protocols and what suture material they use.

It's also important to keep in mind that it's usually cheaper and safer to spay when they're young than remove a tumour when they're older.

Back