cost of keeping boys vs girls

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sailor

Hello everyone! This is only my second post on this forum but you've been really helpful so far!
A few months ago (Oct-Nov) one of my girls (I had 2) got sick and eventually didn't make it. Now I only have 1 girl left, the one I'm currently giving Zithro/Baytril meds for a respir. issue. My questions is: should I get her new mates? I found 2 boys that are up for adoption (my girl is neutered), they're 1 yo and I'm seriously thinking about adopting them. I'm considering the economical factor and the possibility that intros might not go well so I'll have to keep them separated. The only thing that cost me A LOT with my girls were their surgical procedures (they had many mammary tumours, one after another) and I want to ask you all, do boys get as many tumours as girls? Of course I'll have a pet fund just in case (as I do with all my pets) but I want to have a better idea of the upcoming cost of keeping boys.
Thank you in advance!

There are different tumours they can get
but unsprayed girls have more then an 85% chance of getting mammary tumours (which is why it is important to spay girls by 4 months of age if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to spay rats safely)
As far as I know, boys can get mammary tumours but it is rare

Great, thanks for the info. One more thing though! Someone on another rat group mentioned that intact males will get agressive with fixed females. Is that true? Should I not then get the intact males with my fixed female?

Males do not become aggressive because they are living with a spayed girl.
Some males do become aggressive with other rats or people …… aggression is usually hormonal with males so if a male rat becomes aggressive, then a neuter usually takes care of the problem

Last edited:
Back