Considering pet rats but a little worried

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyfreeRat

Hello,

I’m considering getting some pet rats but I am worried about 2 things & would appreciate any info!

1. Myself getting sick from them (been reading about Seoul virus and rat bite fever)

2. My dog and cats possibly catching something from the rats.

I’m new to the rat world and have found A LOT of info online, most times it’s been conflicting info and I just want to make sure I’m making the right decision.

Are there any rat savvy vets in the Hamilton Ontario area as well?

Thank you!

Becoming ill from rats is rare, and if you become ill from any cause then getting medical care is important
Cats and dogs are predators for rats so can not be around them, although some people with dogs and cats do have pet rats.
Rats may be terrified by the smell of cats in the same home,
although some rats can catch a virus that makes them unafraid of predators like cats

Neither you nor your cats or dogs are likely to catch anything from rats

Good that you are asking about vets because having a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats is essential

For important things to consider, please see https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-rat-things-to-consider.32306/

Last edited:
Hello,

I’m considering getting some pet rats but I am worried about 2 things & would appreciate any info!

1. Myself getting sick from them (been reading about Seoul virus and rat bite fever)

2. My dog and cats possibly catching something from the rats.

I’m new to the rat world and have found A LOT of info online, most times it’s been conflicting info and I just want to make sure I’m making the right decision.

Are there any rat savvy vets in the Hamilton Ontario area as well?

Thank you!

My rat is definitely afraid of the cat and acts completely different and way more comfortable when I bring him somewhere different like to my parents house where there is no predator type animal! It’s something to consider as I feel pretty guilty that he’s so afraid of the kitty smell. Another thing to consider is vet bills and all that, almost all the rats I owned needed to go to the vet at one point so they are not cheap pets. But I wouldn’t worry about getting sick from them and they are so sweet and intelligent animals.

You're as likely to get ill from a dog or a cat as a rat. Possibly more so, as cats and dogs range outside and come into contact with other animals/feces.

Re: multi-species pet ownership. Some rat owners do keep rats and cats reasonably successfully, but generally the rats have a separate room the cat is not allowed into. I adopted two rescues who were very stressed because a cat was allowed to sit on their cage in a previous home.

You might see cute pictures of animals interacting, but I'd be wary of that- someone I came across online recently had to have a their ratty undergo an amputation because a dog bit the rat's arm when it reached out of the cage.

Back