Congestion after Baytril?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marie Shannon

Hello there, I have some fairly young rats (perhaps a few months old) that were supposed to be feeders from a snake shop. When I got both of them they had upper respiratory infections as diagnosed by the vet. I got dosages of Baytril and was sent on my way. I made sure they both got their correct dosage of Baytril every single day for 10 days. One of them is completely fine now however the other still has very congested sneezes sometimes and I’m not entirely sure what would be best to do for him considering the Baytril hasn’t lead to any improvement. He only has these very congested sneezes usually first thing in the morning otherwise he runs around fine and is eating and drinking normally.

I’m so worried about him but I don’t have the money to pay for another vet visit. Are there any medications I could buy that would help him??

rats with respiratory infections need to stay on antibiotics for at least 4 weeks if they are helping
Sometimes vets only give a small amount until the know that the particular antibiotic is helping.
If the baytril was helping him, please contact the vet to get more medication, it should not require a vet visit …. and the other rat should still be on the baytril or symptoms will likely return.
If the baytril was not helping, he may need baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) or baytril + doxy

Make sure you do not have scents in the environment and that the bedding is not dust because those things might be causing the sneezing

Last edited:
Back