Confusion with my rattie...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Staff member
(sorry if I placed this wrong)

So I have a happy little girl named Mazu, she has been a special case since I got her as she was very ill and had an ear infection... Now she's happy and healthy(I think..?) but she has a permanent head tilt. Her ear infection wasn't treated properly in the beginning so I got a new vet... Could there still be some infection lingering.? Did the infection cause neurological problems.? When she gets really excited her head fails around and she spins... She enjoys being upside down in tunnels and such I think being upside down actually helps her in the tunnels..?

It's a very strange case so if you have no ideas I understand I'm just slightly concerned for my lil love.

Sometime a head tilt can be permanent. Just keep an eye (& nose) on her ear to be sure the infection is cleared up and don't worry, ratties are very adaptable to physical impairments.

Baby, my umm baby rat...has or had an ear infection. She still has a tilt and when she gets excited and plays, she shakes her head and does this Stevie Wonder kind of dance. It's really prominent if she looks up, or if she gets the zoomies (which is most of the time now). She will be zooming so fast, it's like she trips on her feet and will flip over, the right herself, and keep running. She's no longer doing the circles, or the stretched out, I can't get my bearing walk. So I figured don't really worry about the tilt and occasional tumble. I smell her ears every day, and listen to her lungs every time I pick her up. I think if the infection isn't treated before it gets severe, and the swelling wasn't brought down fast enough, there can be permanent damage. But as Fidget said, they learn to adapt quickly, and very well at that!

She's adapted very well and I should have said before... She's had thus for about a year- I'm worried she's getting another ear infection but I can't tell because of the permanent head tilt sadly... Her ear never had scent before so she's strange-

I have had rats with inner ear infections and there was never any odor.
Rats can be left with a permanent head tilt.

Since it was a year ago, it sounds like the inner ear infection was cured, but yes, rats can get more inner ear infections. If the head tilt becomes worse or her behaviour has worsened/or gets worse then the she will need to quickly be put on antibiotics, on metacam or a steroid, and see a good rat vet …… so watch her carefully.

My little Janet was very ill with an inner ear infection that had not been treated properly when she came home to live with me. Her head tilt and spinning, rolling and inability to eat independently improved with proper medical care but Janet always had a head tilt and had to be maintained on medication for the rest of her life ……. I had one of those clear plastic Marshall ferret tubes and Janet loved running through it - the sides and top seemed to help her stay upright.
Marshall ferret tube.jpg
Janet also loved snuggling in hammocks with her rattie friends. Low houses/boxes are good as well because it helps the rattie to figure out what is up and what is down.

Here is some information on inner ear infections http://ratguide.com/health/auricle_ear/otitis_media_otitis_interna_labyrinthitis.php

Last edited:
Back