Combining two cages?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I've done this before, with two 3 level hamster cages for Gwinny and her sister. Those cages are long gone though (too dirty to ever be clean) so I'm left with the following...

http://www.superpetusa.com/files/200px/60216.jpg

My two girls are in that cage (with a hammock and a bird ladder to make more climbing levels).

http://www.buycages.com/prodpx/ma/big/R ... -r-670.jpg

This is a close (ish) match to the cage Gwinny and her sister were in. Except the bottom slid out and was dark green. And the door was more of a spring catch. Anyway, it's in rather poor condition due to caked urine from my sister's lack of understanding of what cleaning is. However, if I can get it clean, does anyone see a way to connect the two?

I think my girls are happy enough given they're outside of their cage more often than inside but more space never hurts!

Hmmmm...

Let me look through my bits and pieces of Martins. We might be able to rig up an R-695 I can loan you. Would you have the room for it? The base of it is 30" long by 18" wide.
Your superpet cage is just too small for adult girlies even as a temp home, so we'll just have to remedy that. :)

Aw that's very generous of you! I'm moving in late August though (bringing a whole bunch of furniture) and I highly doubt my father will be willing to move a rat cage too. At the time at least, perhaps I can work on him for future trips as Guelph isn't that far. :)

I thought the cage was too small as well, but was told with different levels and whatnot it would be okay so I stopped fretting. Oops! :oops:

Bronwyn said:
Aw that's very generous of you! I'm moving in late August though (bringing a whole bunch of furniture) and I highly doubt my father will be willing to move a rat cage too. At the time at least, perhaps I can work on him for future trips as Guelph isn't that far. :)

I thought the cage was too small as well, but was told with different levels and whatnot it would be okay so I stopped fretting. Oops! :oops:

A cage you could get which would be still smallish but not as bad would be this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Deluxe- ... B0001RTV1G

How I got mine
Yetanuddercage.jpg

And Hestia modelling hers. She has spinal nerve degen so I keep it open concept for her to get around.
Hestiainhernewcage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh I've seen that on the web but never in a store! It's always the smaller types (like what I have) or the squared wire cages with bottoms that slide out, thus make me nervous.

Maybe I can get that one when I get to Guelph. :D Do you think delivery is pricey?

Edit: Silly me, I just found the delivery costs, hehe. Also just realized that the pet store by my apartment may have some nice choices. :D

I've seen them at Petsmart, but infrequently. I have definately seen them at the SuperPet down town.

Does your current cage have a door in the top? You could probably find a cheap cage top somewhere and throw that on top of the original cage (having removed the upper door) and secure it with zip ties.

SuperPet is somewhat nearby :) I'll have to convince my sister to walk with me, hehe, someone to control any purchases. ;D

No door at the top no, just that large thing that swings out. Maybe they make sections for in-between?

Bronwyn said:
SuperPet is somewhat nearby :) I'll have to convince my sister to walk with me, hehe, someone to control any purchases. ;D

No door at the top no, just that large thing that swings out. Maybe they make sections for in-between?

2 biggish doors on the side. For a Superpet cage I like this one. :)

If you would like me to take particular pics of it let me know?

Thanks Shelagh :D I think I'll end up buying whatever I can find that's larger once I get to Guelph. Hopefully the girls won't mind hanging on another month. With their free range time all day I'm hoping they're okay for now, it's just when school starts back up that I won't be around to supervise as much and so the need for a bigger cage increases.

Hey thats a neat idea, you guys are way too inventive, lol! I'm thinking of building a bookshelf cage someday, I found a really easy looking design online, but I never would have thought to combine two hamster cages :shock:

MiniFrog, the "grotto" style (or shelf cages) often seem like a good idea at first but people very often have problems with them later, poor ventilation etc.... Apparently cleaning is easy IF you kids are potty trained, or you secure fabric on all the levels.

You'd be amazed with what you can do with cage surgery... taking an existing cage and adding to it. All you need are wire ties and wire cutters.

And a cheap generic dremel ! (like a Jobmate brand, and you can get a case of cheap attachments too from Canadian Tire) You can put any smaller cage on top with twist ties and cut a hole in the top of the bottom cage and sand down the cut bars.
You can chop up old cages to make levels & ladders too..

Back