Colour question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBee

A few weeks ago I found two little guys being rehomed on Kijiji (I think they're 7-8 weeks old) and I have two questions about their colouring.

First, is it normal for baby rats to change colour? One rat had a siamese point on his nose, a really low siamese point on his bum (almost the entirety of the point is on his actual tail skin), and two kind of cow splotches of beige fur, one on his head and one halfway down his back, in the three-ish weeks I've had them his cow splotches have disappeared and he just has the points. I had some babies years ago with siamese points, but they developed their points around 2 weeks old and they didn't change after that. I'm just so curious as this has never happened before. 😂

3 weeks ago:

20210409_222028.jpg

Today (don't mind the poops):
20210423_204839.jpg

Also, what would you call this rats colour? Is this himalayan? There seems to be a lot of confusing info on what is considered siamese and what is considered himalayan. I'm always so confused about coat colours and patterns unless it's something basic like PEW. He also kind of changed colours over time, but not as much. His nose point mostly got more defined and the fur on his back lightened a bit.

On the right (my best pic of their cute little faces):
20210417_131249.jpg

Body colour:
20210423_205302.jpg

Three weeks ago with barely any nose point:
20210406_000406.jpg

It looks like a siamese going through a molt. When they're young they change colors and shades and get darker on the back before lightening to their final color. He should keep the nose color and his body will probably lighten. He's adorable!

Back