Coast Cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

I thought I would post the pics of my cage. As you all know I LOVE this cage. I think as much as the FN people love their cages. But I couldn't get a FN as my girls are still very small. Also I believe I got a pretty good price on this cage.

Coast Cage
TheNewCageSmall.jpg

Bottom Pan - which is really deep, my girls have to stand up to look out
BottomPan.jpg

Food Bowls which are accessible from the outside
FoodBowls.jpg

Back of the food bowls
FoodBowlsfromtheback.jpg

The litterbox we turned into a bed (they love it) - except the bedding, they had it completely thrown out of where we had put it in two days, so we took it out.
LitterBoxturnedintoabedSmall.jpg

Snak Shack remodelled - the girls took the top off the night they got it. So we had hung it from the top of the cage, when we got the new cage Wayne remodelled it. Now they are putting the straw out from the bottom/roof.
SnakShakremodelledSmall.jpg

Here is the solid wheel that my girls either don't know how to use (their first wheel) or just don't like it... not sure.
SolidWheelSmall.jpg

Just be careful with that wheel. I have heard bad stories about it. Otherwise, great cage!! Ratties look like they love it!

Looks great! I like the fact that the food pulls out from the cage.
I heard the same thing about the wheel, in fact some people are removing the wheel from the cage now.

I think that cage looks like a great value. I almost ordered one at one point, especially after seeing they send an extra pan when you order on ebay.

The only thing that deterred me is the bar spacing for the floors is so large... Do your ratties have an easy time negotiating, and no little feet ever go through the floor wire?

They are really good at negotiating the bars. Although I do want to put something down and will do it. I hear them at night playing and I just cringe because I am worried that I will start to hear screeches of pain by one of them hurting their foot. :(

As I did say on the other forum, someone mentioned linolum, but my concern is that Hazel (who likes to scitter for lack of a better term) will slip off the levels. So I am trying to figure out something else that I can put down to cover the wire.

What happened with the wheel? I haven't heard anything. Also mine down even use the wheel. They just look at it sometimes. Not sure if they know what it is or if they just don't want to use it.

The food bowls are awesome, the only thing is when I take them out Hazel pokes her head through the hole. 'Where did you take my food, bring it back'

Would putting down fleece or some kind of cloth on the levels help?

As for the wheel, someone reported that their rat had wedged their head behind the wheel while another started running the wheel and the one with the caught head asphyxiated. :(

You can put fabric down on the shelves, and I've heard of people using the plastic needlepoint grid that you can get at walmart.

That cage is beautiful. I really like that the food dishes can be accessed from the outside. A pic of Hazel would be so cute.

I will try tonight as I have to fill up their bowl anyways. See if I can get Hazel to be a ham...

My only concern about the needlepoint plastic is that their toes and nails would get caught in the little holes.

Ok yeah I just looked it up and I can see how it could happen. My rats don't even use the wheel so we are considering taking it out anyways. Either that or devising a solid side to it.

Back