CN pictures...show 'em off!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cage always looks awesome! so jealous haha I just finished moving everyone around to let the boys have their whole DCN :) looks plain jane compared to yours..whats the secret?

IMG_0953.jpg

I like your cage! Spoiled boys <3

The secret is being a hoarder, haha!! Anywhere I go when I look at things I think about if the rats would like them, and how I can put them in the cage. And I mean kitchen stores, Walmart, Target, Craft stores like Michaels and Joann Fabric's, everywhere!

I love how busy yours looks! mine is clean cut and probably bores the crap out of the 13wk old boys haha the older boys don't care as long as there are liners to borrow under and sleep on the cool plastic...All the hammocks,igloos in the world and they would still choose to sleep between the fleece and the pan :) I'm gonna go out today and see what I can get my hands on to spruce it up!

So since the boys were feeling better today and I wanted the DFN out of the middle of the floor, I went to work creating my monster...Since the older boys are slowing down but the younger boys are still bouncing off the walls I wanted something that worked for both so I took the top half off of my DCN and put it on the base of what was supposed to be the DFN and I then part each half of the ferret nation on top the the critter nations but I left out the side panels on opposite sides to create one but cage so now the younger boys have their space to run and be silly and the older boys don't have to climb so much so see what all the commotion is about :) This also freed up 2 SCN's ( I left all 4 sides on them) I took our new baby girls and put them in one..they loved all the space as they were in a rat manor and the other is just empty for whoever else comes through the door :) but that will be awhile I hope..maybe I will put jack,nina and alex in there to get them off the ceiling :) I kind of miss looking at their faces whenever I want instead of having to grab a chair to see them..

11537531_10205352569307260_6261310448631677265_o.jpg

11406509_10205352550466789_7597116042362718511_o.jpg

1799140_10205352570387287_7295626603961849318_o.jpg

do you ever get oatmeal in those round cardboard canisters? or tissues in a box? Rats love love love boxes and tubes- and when they get dirty (peed on mostly lol) you just toss them out.
YOu can hang the oatmeal canisters up and remove all or part of the end (I sometimes leave it partly cut open so the rats can finish chewing it open themselves, they seem to appreciate me doing it that way lol)

another super fun things for boys and girls, is rolls of crepe paper streamers. they love toilet paper too, but TP gets soggy very fast and looks and smells nasty
I put a roll of crepe paper streamers on top of the cage with a bit hanging into the cage, and they'll pull some into the cage and decorate with it. It takes them longer to get the streamers into the cage, they are bright an d colorful and dont get gross as fast as TP does, so they can play with it longer. I'll pull it back out of the cage sometimes and make them pull it back in - I feel like a big meanie doing it, but they really seem to enjoy working to get the streamers back where they want them lol

Yea I didn't consider the whole moving thing before having 3 1/2 of these with 2 ziptied together haha gonna be fun seeing how it all works out when we start moving them but gotta get the husband to do the drywall!! no one wants to sleep in a room where everyone can see you haha and I need a spot where I can keep ratties safe from our dog that thinks they will make great snacks..another thing that should be fun to try and work out she might end up an outside dog as much as I am against it..

Last edited:
So since Nina's diagnoses we have crowned her princess Nina :) this is her dwelling with her 2 neutered brothers Jack and Alex

IMG_20150714_233320.jpg

ABQGQQW.jpg

Nothing fancy but I've been working hard to improve it. I got a second hanging tent to replace the old one but quickly realized I could still use the old one by covering the exposed rubber floor with fleece. I'm pretty happy with the results [and so are my girls LOL]

So today was cage cleaning day and since it is now October I decided to do black and orange fleece in the spirit of Halloween :)

IMG_20151001_211800.jpg

IMG_20151001_211837.jpg

No they are all singles with groups of 1-5 rats in them totally 21 rats..from top to bottom left to right there is cage #1 Hercules single hairless male #2 is Hope,Gypsy, Raven,Isabell #3 Timmy, Toby,Shy guy,Boo bear #4 Gabby,Lexi,Summer,Zoey and ceci #5 Harry and Schnitzel #6 Alex and Jack #7 Caramel,Onyx and Marshmallow :)

I love your colorful setup, and it makes me smile even more every time I see Nancy in your photos! : )

Thank you so much :D That's really so sweet, I'm often afraid to post pictures of Sid and Nancy (not here, I know they're welcome here!) because I get a lot of backlash from people who don't know their story. I know they mean well, but it's difficult.

GEDC0060.jpg

GEDC0022.jpg

We had pet mice before owning rats (hence my name) and so I can appreciate each of them for their unique qualities.

You should copy and paste your story before any photo you post. : ) It's such a great story - who could argue once they've read it?

Last edited:
We had pet mice before owning rats (hence my name) and so I can appreciate each of them for their unique qualities.

You should copy and paste your story before any photo you post. : ) It's such a great story - who could argue once they've read it?

The funny thing is, I do! I usually put a disclaimer with my pictures of them, that give a condensed version of their story, and I'm usually met with comments like "You're lucky he hasn't murdered her yet, but to each their own I guess." Which is heart breaking, so I stick to only sharing them with a few groups of people.

Back