CN Liner Question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorachiKatashi

I'm planning to get a CN (haven't decided on the single or double; I only really need the single, but the bigger the better, right?), but I had a few questions.

- I know most people use fleece liners, but does anyone use the liners with rats who aren't litter trained? So far, I haven't tried a litter box with my boys and to the best of my knowledge, they didn't have a litter box in their old home, but I think they're young enough at this point (nine weeks) that I could still teach them if I need to.

- How often do you change your liners, once a day?

- How many sets (i.e. one base liner and shelf liner for a single, two of each for a double) do you have? Or, rather, since I know a lot of you have more rat laundry than you do human laundry, how many sets do you need? At first I was thinking I'd get seven sets so that I could then do a load of rat laundry once a week, but I think that could be pretty expensive.

Thanks!

I have been using fleece for awhile now, recently added a corner litter pan for the boys in my single FN...they're already grown adults, but they are learning (albeit slowly.) I still have to pick up after them every day, usually Max is the only one who can't figure out how to use the litter pan, but if I get lax about picking up after him for more than a day, the other two boys will start going outside the pan as well. We've only had it about a week, but already they are learning.

I change my fleece about once a week, sometimes every 5 or 6 days. I don't actually have fit liners, just fleece that I fit over the shelves and clip down...I have at least 10 different sets, but I suppose I really only need two - one to put down while the other is in the wash. But you can never have too many!

P.S. I think the frequency that you'd change a liner depends on the liner itself...if it is lined with batting on the bottom, that will absorb smells and urine, and the need for change is less frequent. I line the pans/shelves with several layers of paper towels before putting the fleece on top and strapping it all down, I'm probably killing a lot of trees with all the towels, but I can't afford to order liners atm. But with nothing underneathe to absorb, I would think every 2 or 3 days. Guess it all depends how many rats are living in one cage as well.

I have four sets of liners because I have to change them everyday in a double CN with 6 rats. I have another similarly sized ferret cage with 3 rats and I get away with changing the fleece (no custom made liners in that cage) every 3 or four days. I pretty much end up doing a load of animal laundry everyday (2 rat cage changes = 1 load), between the two rat cages and the bunny pen.

We use the liners MomRat makes (obviously, and also a shameless plug) in our double CN. We have 3 girls in the top who are mostly litter trained and one older boy in the bottom half that they wouldn't accept who is not litter trained.

We change out the pan liner in the girls cage twice a week and the shelf once a week, or as it needs it. (Another shameless plug here) you can see examples of how they look here: http://momratmagicfleece.weebly.com/abo ... iners.html
The get tossed in the laundry with a splash of white vinegar and dried without fabric sheets.

We use fleece and our boys are not litter trained. We have 2 on the bottom, 4 on the top. I spot clean poops 3 times a day, takes only seconds with two sheets of kleenex :) We change out the fleece every 3 days.

I have 4 sets right now. 2 yards of fleece (not meters) will make you a full set (for a double CN). One of my sets cost me $4 at the dollar store. So if you have 7 sets, it wouldn't cost too much to go that route! I bought 2 yards of fancy stuff at WalMart for $20, that set hit my pocket hard :( The other 2 sets were fleece I bought on sale in USA at Joanns... I think they cost me $16 plus $15 shipping. Still cheaper than local Walmart and fabricville lol

All sets left me with just a little extra for hammocks!

DadRat said:
The get tossed in the laundry with a splash of white vinegar and dried without fabric sheets.

I bet that sounds amazing when they come out of the dryer. Tell me, have you ever done the laundry with the lights off, to see all those sparkles? haha

You guys need wool dryer balls!

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I should have clarified, but it would be two boys initially going into the cage (until I decide to add, of course!) Still not sure on the single versus the double. Does anyone know if that new third level addition works for the single as well? I.e, if I got the single then wanted to make it a double. Also, a question I meant to ask but forgot - how do you guys go about cleaning those big cages? My current cage is light enough that I can take it apart and carry it up to the bathroom, so I have some natural cleaner stuff I use, then hose it all down, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it with the CN since I can't water it off afterwards.

DadRat - Do you use any detergent, or just the vingegar?

You can buy a single CN, and the Add-On and they will go together :)

How many rats do you plan (or not plan) on having? CN's can hold 4-5 in a single. I had 5 males in mine and it was a bit cramped for my style since my boys like to have their room lol If you plan on having more than that, or another group you are better off getting a double right away. If you are fine with a single and adding the add-on down the road, that would work too! I think the Add On for CN just came out so you would have to see if you can find an addon when you need it.

We bought a double, because we need it. But if I only needed the single, I would have bought a double and saved myself some money. Buying a single then add-on costs more than the double out of the box. I think lol

TorachiKatashi said:
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I should have clarified, but it would be two boys initially going into the cage (until I decide to add, of course!) Still not sure on the single versus the double. Does anyone know if that new third level addition works for the single as well? I.e, if I got the single then wanted to make it a double. Also, a question I meant to ask but forgot - how do you guys go about cleaning those big cages? My current cage is light enough that I can take it apart and carry it up to the bathroom, so I have some natural cleaner stuff I use, then hose it all down, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it with the CN since I can't water it off afterwards.

DadRat - Do you use any detergent, or just the vingegar?
For cleaning we wipe the pans and shelves down with disinfectant wipes and let them dry if they are really dirty, or spray with vinegar and peroxide and rinse with hot water if you are worried about fumes from the wipes. The bars get a wipe down with cleaning wipes as needed.

We use a "free and clear" type laundry detergent, as anything else makes me itch and it is better for the fuzzballs anyway.

EDIT: What my wife said. ^^^

We wipe down the pans 3x week with non sented baby wipes, wash with hot soapy water once a week. The actual cage gets wiped down 3x a week with baby wipes and overhauled once a month. Planing to just take it apart and wash in the tub. Better than my Martins cages, had to drag 4 cages into the bathroom once a week for a bubble bath!

Back