Cleaning Bloody Tumor

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by dawnmb57, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dec 4, 2017 #1

dawnmb57

dawnmb57

dawnmb57

During the last vet trip, my vet diagnosed a bloody tumor in my rat's ear and suggested I put her down. She still has an enthusiasm for life and a huge appetite so I am not going to follow that advice.

Meanwhile, what can I do to keep her ear more comfortable. It keeps growing a huge scab which I have pulled out a couple of times but of course it causes the tumor to bleed. Is that okay? Should I use some kind of oil to soften it enough to remove it regularly?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Dec 4, 2017 #2

Sheldon

Sheldon

Sheldon

Rataholic

Usually tumours in that area are lethal and very painful. If your rat seems happy and unaffected at the moment I’d say there is no reason for euthanasia yet. I would not advise pulling on the scab.

3. Dec 4, 2017 #3

dawnmb57

dawnmb57

dawnmb57

Thank you. Giving arnica 6X for the pain. Should I take her to a different vet for pain medication?

4. Dec 4, 2017 #4

Sheldon

Sheldon

Sheldon

Rataholic

You might be able to ask your current vet. It would be nice if you could get her on some a Meloxicam.

5. Dec 5, 2017 #5

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

I agree with getting her on metacam/meloxicam for pain management and I also agree to leave the tumour alone.

SQ likes this.
  6. Dec 5, 2017 #6

dawnmb57

dawnmb57

dawnmb57

Thanks to both of you I will get her to a new vet and I might have some meloxicam. I will check. She ate so much yesterday, like a little pig and enjoy being brushed. It's hard to believe she's having any pain. I know rats hide it but I've had nearly 150 or more in my rescue and never seen anything like this. She is 4 years old too.