Cleaning babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bribble

So i haven't posted in a while, been busy. The babies are doing great and have been feeding themselves for a little while now. Their eyes just opened today! However, they are FILTHY. They've somehow been soaking themselves in formula and it dries crispy. Theyre afraid of me now that they can see, but is there anyway i can clean them? Or get them to clean themselves? They're quite small still and they won't hold still. If i put a very shallow container of water in there (with something to dry off with) will they eventually get clean themselves?

I would use a damp cloth and just rub them gently. But I would also try the shallow dish idea...they might enjoy that. How old are they? make sure they can safely keep their head up and get in or get out of the dish.

I would use a damp cloth and just rub them gently. But I would also try the shallow dish idea...they might enjoy that. How old are they? make sure they can safely keep their head up and get in or get out of the dish.
I'll try both. I'm not sure, I got them when they had some hair but they're definitely more around a 2 week mark now. Right now their food is in a gatorade cap so I'll have to find another.

you could put a few peas ( or something they like) in shallow luke warm water that they can get easily in and out of. Then they may get washed off while trying to get the peas

I hope you are still handling the babies a lot so that they will be well socialized.
Scoop them up from underneath with two hands, don't pick them up etc from above like a predator because that will frighten them

Are you still looking for a nursing mama with litter?..
Because a pet mouse would wash them, teach them and they might bond with the pet babies which would likely help them live in captivity

Last edited:
Back