Clavamox dosage question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violet976

For those who used it recently on an adult rat, can you tell me what dosage of clavamox you administered. I ask because I see conflicting information & I want second opinions on this.

I see this dosage listed on this website: http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm
6.25mg/lb BID, PO
.15cc/lb for 10 to 14 days

but I also see these three dosages on this website: http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/clavamox_amoxicillinclavulanate.php
6.25 mg/lb , PO , BID 4
Given over 10-14 days.

or

30 mg/kg to 40mg/kg , PO, q12hrs 21. Dosage range used successfully in pet rats by Vanessa Pisano DVM.

or

100mg/kg , PO, q12hrs 29. *Note: use cautiously*

Unless my calculations are incorrect, these are three very different dosages. Opinions please?

If you don't already, because clavamox is such a strong abs maybe give the rat some acidophillus once a day either at least one hour after or before the abs.

I know it probably sounds strange, but I was trying to get all my ducks in a row for the vet yesterday, since I didn't know for sure what meds he would try to push. I wanted to have the best understanding of all the possible drugs he might prescribe, as well as have on hand when I walked in the dosages I wanted of whatever drug he sent me home with. Unfortunately, I keep getting vets who send me home wanting me to give nearly half of the recommended dose for many drugs, so now I try to be a step ahead of the game.

Turns out, he preferred to go with zithro first. But I will be keeping this info handy in case we try clavomox down the line. Mainly it was to be for the antibiotic part of the treatment, since we've already done baytril/doxy & both rats have built up resistance to even the highest dosage at this point. We are currently doing zithro, pred & lasix to deal with what appears to be fluid buildup (hopefully), & will move forward medication wise based on how we see Verdell responding.

Anyone have any idea how long it should take to see improvement on the lasix/pred/zithro combo? He's eating a little mushed lab blocks & banana & drinking his water, but thats about it. & he's normally such a porker. He's only on his second dose, got it at 9am this morning, and was given a shot of dex yesterday midday at the vet. I'm just curious how long do I wait with no improvement before it's deemed that this combo isn't working?

Also, a few have mentioned that baytril should be added in with the zithro. I had mentioned that to my vet, but he said he had concerns of adding another antibiotic because of the other meds being used (I think he said he was afraid of more risk of kidney failure or problems, but I could be confusing information. So much was said... I know it was a concern of whether Verdell could handle so many meds being thrown his way though, I'm just not sure if kidney was the actual concern there.

Opinions for those who have gone this route? Am I risking more by not having him on the antibiotic combo & just using zithro alone? -I know you're not vets, just want opinions so I can make the best decisions when I speak to my vet- :thumbup:

I would hold off before adding bayril. It's documented that zithro and baytril combo can cause a stroke. (but worth the risk if rat is dying)
All depending how far along he is, it could take anywhere from a week to a month, but definitely see the vet again after a week. Since you already got xrays, a new set will be good to take in order to compare.

Thanks for the reply, its almost his med time & I was teetering on what to do. I'd say no better, no worse at this point, but when he looks so bad its tough to tell. got some food down... he absolutely loved the soggy mushed lab blocks with Boost, so its something. & the vet definitely wanted to see him again in a week & reevaluate with xrays, so that's encouraging as well. Thanks so much everyone, I'll keep updates on him coming as I know anything.

Back