Clarke

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
My little girl, Clarke goes in for surgery tomorrow .... 4 days ago the vet and I thought it might be an abscess but the lump has grown so much over the weekend ...... the cells show a reaction to inflammation and it does not appear to be a tumour as a needle biopsy did not find any cancer cells. ...... The lump feels bumpy, not smooth and is not what I would expect

I am hoping that everything will go well in the morning.
May 21 2018 little girl with lump.JPG

Last edited:
Those inguinal tumours are often nasty and lumpy unlike most mammary tumors. If you can I advise spaying sooner than later since she seems prone to developing tumours esp. at such an unprecedented young age :/

Those inguinal tumours are often nasty and lumpy unlike most mammary tumors. If you can I advise spaying sooner than later since she seems prone to developing tumours esp. at such an unprecedented young age :/

Thank you lilspaz68 for identifying it for me.
Do you have a link where I can learn more? I couldn't find info on the ratguide.
My vet told me it was a mammary tumour but that didn't seem like one to me because it was so lumpy.

Yes, she needs to be spayed asap. Do you think she will have recovered and be ok for surgery in 3 weeks, or should I get it done sooner? (Because if sooner would be better then I will arrange for my vet here to do it).

I wanted to get her spayed by 4 months of age and have been trying to get her and her 8 sisters spayed since Nov but they were too small for my vet - their mama lived with their daddy (snake owner) and had been having back to back litters for a very long time - most of her life. When I rescued this litter of 15 newborns, their 5 remaining 4 week old siblings and their mama (daddy had already been given away), I found that all 20 babies were delayed in their development.

I have had to cancel two appointments for spays and neuters (in NS) so far but will be driving the 18 siblings (mama & 2 sisters were adopted together & spayed last fall) to Mahone Bay NS in June for spays and neuters (because of the extreme difference in cost here in NB). Would you suggest that Clarke be spayed sooner then this?

Last edited:
Clarke was spayed in June along with he sisters.

Well, the vet did not get all the mammary tumour as it had grown into her abdominal muscle, so the tumour grew again. Clarke had surgery a second time to remove the tumour and the vet took as much as he could.

Then in July Clarke again had a lump and again went in for surgery (July 23 ). The vet did not think the lump was the mammary tumour because it was full of fluid. The lump was removed.

Well, I guess the vet did not get it all, because it is back :(
I will be phoning the vet Monday morning to get Clarke in for surgery as soon as the vet has an opening.
This will be Clarke's 4th surgery for tis tumour :(

Last edited:
Clarke had surgery on Thursday and is doing well. The good news is that the mammary tumour was a different tumour, not the same one continuing to grow.
The bad news is that this second mammary tumour was another nasty one - it had a stalk and root and it felt lumpy to me :( Hopefully the vet got it all

Poor baby! My heart goes out to you both, what a rough ride. She's sure a little survivor, and has the best mom she could have. Hope the rest of her life is problem-free. Kisses to her!

Back