Clark - Neuter Drama Appears Over

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is he doing?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for asking, but I went to give him his night time meds yesterday and he has an abscess - unbelieveable! Daddy cannot remember if he had it when he gave morning meds, but I know it wasn't there the night before. This is getting ridiculous - his $200 neuter is going to cost me around 1K if they have to do another full surgery on him. We both have full work schedules this week, so when I get home today I'm going to start soaking him and see if I can get it to clear up. We really have no time to take him back to the vet. I just don't know what else to do. He's on 2 antibiotics and an ointment. Plus he's been opened and cleaned out twice.

How is that sexy Sheldon doing (my nakies asked me to ask) :whistle:

The vet shouldn't be charging you for these rechecks when it's all due to the neuters. What abs is he on. He shouldn't be getting these abscesses all the time.

Sheldon is great, still a little toot.

Bernadette, my other nakie, got spayed yesterday and I'm kinda worried about her. She got turbogesic yesterday during surgery, I gave her a Metacam injection when we got home as instructed, and she still had pain problems. So, I gave her some Tramadol too. She is still doing the owie stretch this morning a bit and she is sunken in. Her eyes look a little dull too. She is still being social and eating/drinking okay. Also she was trying to eat newspaper pellets like crazy yesterday and she didn't even get the causal medication for pica.

I hope you can get that this to come to a head but I agree with above. I feel like all you've had to do to him already points to veterinarian responsibility for the problem and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

The vet shouldn't be charging you for these rechecks when it's all due to the neuters. What abs is he on. He shouldn't be getting these abscesses all the time.

Sheldon is great, still a little toot.

Bernadette, my other nakie, got spayed yesterday and I'm kinda worried about her. She got turbogesic yesterday during surgery, I gave her a Metacam injection when we got home as instructed, and she still had pain problems. So, I gave her some Tramadol too. She is still doing the owie stretch this morning a bit and she is sunken in. Her eyes look a little dull too. She is still being social and eating/drinking okay. Also she was trying to eat newspaper pellets like crazy yesterday and she didn't even get the causal medication for pica.

I hope you can get that this to come to a head but I agree with above. I feel like all you've had to do to him already points to veterinarian responsibility for the problem and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Flagyl and doxy (before it was flagyl an baytril) I'm going to mention that because I thought the same thing about the follow up appointments. I've probably spend at least 5K there since we started seeing them in October you would think they would not charge for some stuff already. We do get some very tiny discounts, but not that makes that big of a difference.

Clark was in pain from the first reopening of the sack and I let them give in that shot, but it was just one dose and it did wonders plus he was on metacam and we added tramadol. I took all the paper out (even the liter pan) so he chewed all my fleece!!!

Poor boy, it's so stressful when they have complication after complication. Don't worry, I'm sure the end of all this stuff is near!

I wouldnt take him back to reopen it. Let nature happen unless it becomes majorily infected I would treat it at home... Do you have a new picture of it?

I put him under warm water when I got home from work (which he seemed to like) as I was doing this I started smelling something awful - as I wondered what that smell could be I looked at the abscess and saw yellow cheesey pus - yep, obviously I noticied the smell before I noticed I had opened part of the abscess. This didn't last too long as my boy was crying in pain. So I stopped and gave him his tramadol. Later in the night we tried again and I got half of it open and was able to flush the abscess/hole. It looks like there is a mass in there and I have no idea if it will come out on its own or if its another area of necrotic tissue for yet another stitch and wasn't removed. I don't want to mess with it too much since its in that area of that male gland. Poor Clark :sad4:

Poor boy....
I'm glad you got that abscess open, but that "mass" inside is scary. Maybe it is just muscle or tissue you're seeing?

Is it up above his willie? off to the side? I had one or two boys get infection up there but if would be probably left over from when he had issues...

Is it up above his willie? off to the side? I had one or two boys get infection up there but if would be probably left over from when he had issues...

alittle to the side and below - it closed again, but appears smaller now. However he has another pea sized lump forming in his "sack"

Ugh poor boy. He must be predisposed to abscesses. Did the vet mention about perhaps doing a culture to see which meds would be best?

They are going to go in again, I think, and completely open him up. He has 2 abscesses now. The one I keep opening, but it closes just as quickly as I can open it and gets large and hard again. I don't like its location so close to the winky so I hate messing with it. The other one in the sack is alittle bigger than pea size and it doesn't look like its going to come to a head anytime soon.

Only going to be half price and laser will be free of charge. We did discussion doing a culture if they had to go in again so this time he will get cultured. Poor boy, he doesn't seem to be in pain though unless I'm messing with the abscess. She wants us to drop him off tonight for surgery tomorrow. He's going to freak if we leave him there.

Poor boy. Such a simple operation and so many problems!
The vet really should just completely drop some of those charges. :/

Opening it up again is going to end up causing more abscesses. It is a cycle that is gonna keep happening. Usually those abscess will come to a head and heal on their own even if it takes a bit of time. I wouldnt keep putting him through that I would find a second opinion.....

What is he on? My Gera had to be on Clavamox for a month and it totally cleared him up. Maybe he needs to be packed with antibiotics in the abscess holes.

What is he on? My Gera had to be on Clavamox for a month and it totally cleared him up. Maybe he needs to be packed with antibiotics in the abscess holes.

Doxy and Flagyl. She removed an encapsuled infection and the infection that was in there that has been the infection from hell! I could not keep it open to flush it out. The next day it would be closed up and the scab would disappear, but the lump would continue to grow. Then he formed the second lump independent from the first. This is the last neuter they will do. On the plus side though, Clark no longer humps my arms! :ambulance:

EDIT: Apparently I miss read the hubby's text the above is what she saw before surgery. The encapsuled infection popped as she was removing it. Removed more bad tissue and what needed closing was glued. She left a small opening that needs flushing twice a day.

Last edited:
Quick note, the hole she left was NOT small I can see into him!!! My poor baby is not happy, but spent most of the night sleeping on the couch (under my blanket) with puffs on one side and a tiny water bowl should he need it. He even had the putty cat stand guard watching him from the floor. That was pretty funny - she was generally concerned. He was pampered all night.. I will put up photos later.

Oreo, there will be some photos for you too... :wrong:

Back