Clark - Neuter Drama Appears Over

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Clark got a bit neglected in the whole Kona PT mess! I did notice a couple days ago that his testicle sack was getting hard and I thought this odd, but there was no redness, wasn't warmth to the touch, he was acting normal, incision site looked fine so I basically just stored it in the back of my mind. Yesterday night I noticed he looked like he never had a neuter and the sack was hard and he looked like he had a complete set of gonads, but all the above still applied. Today was his follow up and when we got there the incision site was slightly opening, but still not much. So, when the tech left the room I looked closer at the site and squeezed some - this opened the site more and I could see the pus - as soon as I put him down the ouch stretches started. I had never seen those before only read about them on here. They are horrible to see happen! Especially when you know you caused them... He had to be sedated and the site opened and cleaned out. There actually wasn't much pus we were told, but actually necrotic fatty tissue as our boy actually had an allergic reaction to the stitches they used. Only our boy! He now has an open wound that will require ointment twice a day, metacam, and two antibiotics. After about three hours the ouch stretches didn't stop so we made a call to the vet and back we went. He got a shot of buprenorphine and we got a prescription of tramadol. He will now get metacam in the am and tramadol in the pm. He is now resting comfortably. We also removed all paper from the cage in case the shot causes pica.

Awwww poor baby. We've had a few with reactions to sutures. He should heal right up.

He's resting comfortably now, but seeing those stretches for the first time and how long he made himself and how skinning he got when he sucked his sides in - that was awful to see for the first time....

Oh boy dspch, out rats have another thing in common!
I just got back from the vet and it turns out that Oreo had a reaction to HER stitches, too...
*hugs* Fingers crossed for both of our babies!

Oh boy dspch, out rats have another thing in common!
I just got back from the vet and it turns out that Oreo had a reaction to HER stitches, too...
*hugs* Fingers crossed for both of our babies!

I just read and commented on your thread - the tech at my vet, when I went back for the tramadol, said that is common in rodents to have a reaction to the stitches. I didn't know that. When you become a vet you'll need to come up with stitches for our little critters.

Poor little man! Here's hoping this will do the trick and he can fully heal now.
My dog had a reaction to the sutures when he had his neuter too. He healed up fine. :). Hang in there!

His one gonad looks big again!! I have an email into the vet. I cannot remember if she restitched it using another type of stitch - I think that's what she said she did. Could he possibly be allergic to both brands they use!? He's acting just fine though. :doh:

can you get a picture? if they dont seal or do it right the body cavity pushes stuff in the sack. so they end up with fat being squished painfully in the cavity.

Poor Clark had to have both his incisions opened up again and cleaned out do to infections and an abscess. The right side was infected from the stitches now - they think they got all the stitches out this time. If it happens again they will go in surgically and we will have the site cultured. I believe they used PSB nylon stitches and that is what he is reacting to.

Back