Circles

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandora

Everything's been fine with my mischief for a bit now. My new guy integrated very nicely. His enemy is now his friend. I only have one problem and it's not with my new guy..It's with his friend, who is an older rat, cheese, 2.1 year old. Cheese just was at the bottom of the cage whining at his friend prodding him. I went to go check things out and i found him in the litter box(i use newspaper) he was reeee when i went to pick him up. he walks favoring the left side and almost in circles. I dont know if he fell and didnt have grip strength or if he had some sort of stroke or what. he has been greying in the snout hairs so ive been preparing for a bit. He seems a bit pale and is puffy.

Everything's been fine with my mischief for a bit now. My new guy integrated very nicely. His enemy is now his friend. I only have one problem and it's not with my new guy..It's with his friend, who is an older rat, cheese, 2.1 year old. Cheese just was at the bottom of the cage whining at his friend prodding him. I went to go check things out and i found him in the litter box(i use newspaper) he was reeee when i went to pick him up. he walks favoring the left side and almost in circles. I dont know if he fell and didnt have grip strength or if he had some sort of stroke or what. he has been greying in the snout hairs so ive been preparing for a bit. He seems a bit pale and is puffy.
I gave him some infant Ibuprofen to help with any pain. and set him up a non litterbix spot to lay in if desired. he also was bruxing while sitting, I read on another thread thats indicative of a Pituitary Tumor. Is there an online vet that anyone can recommend?

Why not start with a video of him moving around (on a flat non slippery surface with his feet visible), also offer him a small light treat to see how he grasps and eats it

he wont take a treat outside the cage. ill get a video in a bit. i dont want to bother him right now, everyone finally relaxed and not crawling on him.

got a few videos. hes severely declined since i first posted

Attachments

• Snapchat-1340847695.mp4
    2.4 MB
  • Snapchat-187497269.mp4
    6.8 MB
now hes just sitting there pitifully

Attachments

• 16228967351451149823833566284807.jpg
    16228967351451149823833566284807.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 101
Ok 1st video was too short, 3rd video I couldn't get to load but 2nd video showed a lot. He's tilted, dizzy and unbalanced but doesnt seem to have that confusion and laxness of movement you usually see with PT. If he was mine I would suspect inner ear infection so he would need a combo of appropriate antibiotics. You can give him a low ceilings box which will help him figure out up from down. Does he roll at all you pick him up?

Ok 1st video was too short, 3rd video I couldn't get to load but 2nd video showed a lot. He's tilted, dizzy and unbalanced but doesnt seem to have that confusion and laxness of movement you usually see with PT. If he was mine I would suspect inner ear infection so he would need a combo of appropriate antibiotics. You can give him a low ceilings box which will help him figure out up from down. Does he roll at all you pick him up?
he rolls big time and his eye goes around, and he seems a little confused to me... right now i have him in a carrier so he cant hurt himself more... hes resting right now
... i think he may have taken a fall and hurt his side so idk. what antibiotics??

he rolls big time and his eye goes around, and he seems a little confused to me... right now i have him in a carrier so he cant hurt himself more... hes resting right now
... i think he may have taken a fall and hurt his side so idk. what antibiotics??
my husbamd asked about dramamine, the motion sickness pill.. idk anything about if rats can get that

hes gotten significantly worse since this morning. his whole left side is struggling to move and he keeps rolling over

Unfortunately he is too far Gone.... He declined rapidly today and wont make it the night. Hes just a shell now theres no life in him anymore.... Why do these things always have to happen on the weekend ugh.... Well he was an awesome rat. we adopted him already 8mos and neutered back in the beginning of 2020. he was getting grey for a while now.

Attachments

• 20210605_211532.jpg
    20210605_211532.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 100
Back