Choosing the right cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmd0627

I'm sorry if this post seems like a repeat of others, but I have tried to sort through all the cage posts here and have just ended up more confused.

After much reading, I think I have realized that my cage is not big enough for my girls. I have two females, and they are quite active. I want to give them the room they need to run around, play, and have a good quality of life. I live in the US, and a lot of the cages that I have looked at originate in the UK. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? I'm also a student, so I have to take the issue of cost into consideration. I'm more than willing to invest in a new cage, but I'd feel better knowing I was choosing a cage that others have found satisfying. Any suggestions?

Martin's Cages are my personal favorite. They're more affordable than most cages out there, and more practical. I currently have 2 active girls in the Martin's 680 model. The door is already big enough to fit a 12" wheel through with minimal hassle, it's easier to cart around, and *much* easier to clean. Other models, I believe you still need to request larger doors and on some models it skews the whole layout. I would recommend the flip top lid for any of their cages, though.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

The cage I have right now is comparable to Martin's R-670. I'd really like to give the girls more room. I am toying with a few ideas: 1. Investing in a roomy Martin's cage. 2. Modifying my existing cage. My birthday is coming up, and I think I could gather the money needed to buy a second version of the cage I already own, creating double the space pretty easily. 3. I have a crafty friend who really wants to build a grotto for my girls--perhaps we could start pricing building materials.

One thing I think will help a lot is learning how to be a more efficient interior decorator. I'm learning a lot from reading around here about the possibilities of rat happiness that can come from crafting hammocks and hideaways from fleece. This is definitely something I can do no matter which route I decide to take. I also think I'll work on creating a more tempting free range zone for Emma and Maia. They spend most of their out time on the couch, but Emma has long enjoyed running around on the floor of my room, and Maia has just recently followed suit. Offering them plenty of play options is something I can work on right now as I decide my next move cage-wise.

I have gotten so many ideas from this forum! I'm still learning how to be the best rat mom I can be, and reading around here has been both reassuring and inspiring. I want to give my girls a roomy home, but I have also gotten so many ideas for how to enrich their living and playing areas. My girls and I thank you all!

Generally speaking, 90% of the people who build a grotto style cage wind up hating it within a few months. They can be very difficult to clean, even when the wood is sealed well pee can seep down and really reek, and some people have issues with ventilation. It does work for some people, but I haven't really seen a common denominator for that.

Personally, I'd invest in a roomier Martin's. I always suggest a cage footprint no less than 30"x18" since rats like to run as much as they like to climb.

A base of 24 x 14 is much too small. If I were you, I'd definitely go for something bigger. Like Kat has mentioned 30 x 18 is a more suitable base, in fact, it should be the absolute minimum.
Even if you build up higher with your current one, it still won't have the running room of a wider cage.

I just read in another post about the minimum footprint of 30x18. Now that I know that, I think a roomy Martin's cage is the way to go. I knew my girls needed more room, but now I feel better informed to choose the cage for them. I'm trying to do the best I can but I'm still learning. A good cage is the next step in the ongoing process. I think within a week I'll be able to order them their new cage. Thanks again for the input!

Glad you decided against the R670.
It is waay to small for two rats.

The R695 is a great cage.
Hope you ordered it powder coated with the extra large doors and pull out tray.
A flip top lid is good to have too but not necessary if you have the extra large doors.

I'm so excited! The cage should arrive here on Saturday. As soon as I found out that the base should be at least 30x18, I knew it was time to get a new cage. Emma and Maia have been counting down the days with me until their new home arrives! Pictures will follow, as this will be my first large-scale attempt at rattie interior design.

Oh, in case no one has mentioned it.
Put your cage together with several hundred cable ties (zip ties).
The c-rings that come with the cage will rust and are difficult to remove. If you use the small cable ties (4 in) they can be easily removed with toe nail clippers.

Back