chewing electric cords

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

church

is there any way to stop these baby monsters from snipping every electric cord in half? other than restricting their outings... begging them not too hasn't helped. neither has pretending they'll never do it again :(

It is essential to make a rat safe play area for your rats where they can run, climb, play, explore, and interact with you under supervision.
The play area should not allow access to anything that can harm them or that you do not want chewed, peed on or destroyed.
Some people will use their bed or a couch, covered with a fleece blanket to protect it from urine,
some will use an enclosed play area such as the large martins powder coated play pen with top (martinscages.com), others use a bathroom - but that is difficult as there may be small breaks in the wall or toxic chemicals to watch out for,
and many of us create large safe play areas enclosed by sheets of coroplast

Please see the Reference thread for information https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

is there any way to stop these baby monsters from snipping every electric cord in half? other than restricting their outings... begging them not too hasn't helped. neither has pretending they'll never do it again :(
My experience is if you teach them from when they're young by watching them carefully on their free outings and as soon as they go to the cables or try to chew on them you tell pick them up and actually tell them "No!", if that doesn't work, then catching them in the act and putting them immediately back into their cage and cutting their outing short every time they do it has also worked in the past for me. If they already have a habit of this you may have to diligently catch them in the act and cage them for a while, they should learn eventually. They're very smart and you can teach them pretty easily, I've taught my current rat not to walk across my keyboard when she's on my desk, she learned it very quickly, I just had to tell her no and block her path when she tried to walk across it. Now she always walks around it.

Chewing is a normal rat behaviour.
When it comes to something such as chewing electrical cords that are a matter of life or death, I believe it is essential to keep rats safe and not allow them access to anything that can harm them

Back