Cheese, Milk, etc.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Bean

I know that rats can't have milk, but is cheese okay? are there some that are and some that aren't? I stay away from dairy completely and give chicken bones for the vitamins and calcium and whatnot. We see all of these movies with rats eating cheese and I've always thought "poor things, I don't think they can digest that" but now I'm wondering if they can... can anyone tell me?

Oh, why can't rats have milk? I never knew about that! I had been told that Soy Milk is okay (Godmother and SQ give it to their youngun's when they give them baby cereal), but I didn't know that regular milk could be bad for them. Anxiously waiting to see how this thread plays out.

Rats are lactose intolerant. I give my rats the occasional tiny, tiny piece of cheese as a treat but dairy products tend to upset their tummies (I've never had a problem with yogurt, though).

Cheese is very high in fat so keep it at a minimum. They sure do love it though.
Rats should get their calcium from broccoli and other fresh greens. :D

I don't have milk in the house anymore, my guys only get soymilk and not very often. I give cheese and ice cream very infrequently. I think that it is fine as long as it is kept to a minimum. My guys have never seemed to be in discomfort from the little that they eat.
If you feed a well balanced staple food, and give fresh food a couple of times a week, then they will receive the nutrients that they require.

Back