Changing dynamics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronwyn

I've been thinking about this splitting up the FN issue all day and I was wondering what people thought about adding a third girl to the mix. Am I right in thinking it could backfire completely?

I had two littermates and at 6-7 months I added a third girl and everything has been fine. But this doesn't really help, you were thinking about dividing the fn. I know this would cost a lot of money but what would spaying Brie do if she is always the instigator? I think I have heard somtimes that can 'mellow' a female.

There's an idea! For some reason I always assumed they were too old for that but it seems like something worth looking into. I think they were born February or March 2006? Or 2005? :think: I adopted them August 2006, that's the only thing I know for sure. :laugh2:

The woman who adopted them out said Brie was the boss of a pack of six girls, so I think when they were all split up the dominance wasn't so clear anymore as Elphie seems to want her shot at being queen bee. The thing is she never induces more than a minor cut. But she does try, and they flip each other over all the time after battling it out. You'd think they'd have a pecking order by now but I'm not sure.

I didn't realize rat dynamics could be so complicated. It's like the popular trio of girls in high school...there's a queen bee and her two minions, ones that wouldn't mind overthrowing her if given the chance. But with a new kid in the pack...no wait, in that theory there's still friction.

Or maaaaybe I need to get some sleep and am overthinking this way too much, lol.

Spaying could very well help. Also bringing in a new rat could also help. But then if you do and it doesn't work out, then you would be stuck.

So true! Though I don't mind two cages to clean, that would mean buying a fourth to keep her company...I wonder how many it would take to get me disowned. :laugh:

Edit: I'm nervous about the invasive surgery though...has anyone spayed a rat at a year and 8 months? This is assuming they were born in 2006...I'm really not 100%.

I've had a few girls spayed at 21 months. All did very well.

But... if you are not concerned about having to add another cage, I would first try two new youngish girls to see if that may stop Brie from her rampaging quests on Elphie.

I wouldn't get teeny tiny babies though, more like around 3 to 4 months old.

It's certainly worth discussing with my parents (who would have to cover the cage as my rent is due in a few days). Surely they'll want a solution to this as I'm always calling my dad about their disputes! And now they're stuck with Elphie, hehe. Hopefully she'll come home soon.

Hopefully a new addition wouldn't make Brie worse, thinking she has more to keep in line.

Oh good, I always wanted to be a zombie. :laugh2:

Okay, Elphie's home. :D

They're fighting already, and Elphie is the instigator. I'd kick her ass too if I were Brie. They switch roles with the bullying but Elphie's getting really fair warning here that Brie is not having fun so...jeepers.

Guys, I don't know what to do. :(

It's certainly an exciting prospect! If not scary, lol. Would a single FN be spacious enough for four?

I'm also not sure where I could adopt. The Guelph humane society has no rats, nothing shows up on Petfinder, the OVC isn't adopting out rats at this time, and the random local shelters I know of also don't have rats. There's a huuuge surplus of rabbits though. Like wow.

The pet store has a ton of course. I worry about them because they're no longer itty bitty babies and are mostly adults. Regardless, they're still from the pet store.

Odd, I was just on that page. :lol: And no, no rabbits! They're cute but I'll stick with rats. ;)

I just found an ad for a 3 month old female rat that apparently didn't get along with the original resident rat. Thing is, it's a block away, and the pet store is in that area so I've probably seen this rat before AT the pet store.

I emailed her. ;) It is only one rat she's offering though...

My concern with going young is they may fit through the bars here. : / My girls can only get their heads out but I can see how other females just slide right on out.

jorats said:
I can understand your concern... but... it's a rescue! heehee

:sad-p:

The girl never emailed me back, and the ad was taken off the site this morning. This phrase of yours really stuck in my head and somehow I got attached without ever seeing the rat. o_O

It's really odd how that works. Not even a photo, lol. I suppose I was worried because the girl only had one to begin with, not really indicating a whole lot of knowledge. Perhaps she didn't introduce them correctly. The ad was only up 5 days, and given the huge number of rats at the pet store in her area I worry about what happened. :(

I checked on the girls today and Brie has some fresh cuts on her face, though minor. Much les worrisome than the chunk that was taken out of her hind leg last week! Yet the girls sleep together in the hamster ball so I can only assume they wouldn't want to be seperated? This third/fourth cagemate is my best bet?

Back