Change in my pet rats behaviour

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3stinkyrats

So I have 3 rats who have been together since birth. They were all perfectly fine and they loved me once they had been at my home in their cage after about 2 months (they are now about 10 months old) but recently one of my rats has been acting really different. She comes up to me when I'm with the other rats but as I go to stroke her she runs away. She was never the friendliest of her group but she was friendlier then one of my other more scared rat. She also doesn't really come to me as often, unless someone else is getting attention or I have treats. She is eating alright I believe, and she seems alright its just her attitude has changed suddenly. She's been doing this for about 2 days now. Is there a reason for this? Or does she need a vet visit?

Update: once I had found her I carefully grabbed her and passed her to my dad. She seemed fine and safe? She was being really nice to me, I gave her a treat and put her back in her cage. It just doesn't seem right.

This is her: (taken during Christmas when she was fine and friendly)
IMG_20210107_170213_878.jpg

Last edited:
So I have 3 rats who have been together since birth. They were all perfectly fine and they loved me once they had been at my home in their cage after about 2 months (they are now about 10 months old) but recently one of my rats has been acting really different. She comes up to me when I'm with the other rats but as I go to stroke her she runs away. She was never the friendliest of her group but she was friendlier then one of my other more scared rat. She also doesn't really come to me as often, unless someone else is getting attention or I have treats. She is eating alright I believe, and she seems alright its just her attitude has changed suddenly. She's been doing this for about 2 days now. Is there a reason for this? Or does she need a vet visit?

Update: once I had found her I carefully grabbed her and passed her to my dad. She seemed fine and safe? She was being really nice to me, I gave her a treat and put her back in her cage. It just doesn't seem right.

This is her: (taken during Christmas when she was fine and friendly)
View attachment 14808
Rats are like humans. They have a wide range of emotions and behaviours. If she is still eating and drinking and isn't all puffed up in a corner and is still fine with the rest of her siblings, then I wouldn't worry about it. Rats have rich personalities and it may just be part of her aging process, aka growing up. As long as she's healthy there's nothing you need to do. I always tell people that rats don't need expensive toys or lavish cages. Rats need their humans. This is part of being a domesticated animal. I would continue to spend time with her, don't push her boundaries. Just enjoy the bond you have with her and continue to give her a healthy and happy home.

Has something changed in your house or have you started doing anything a bit different? I had two rats once that suddenly started acting nervously and after a while I realised it only happened after I'd been to my sister's house who had recently purchased a cat. Someone else I know said that their rats acted more skittish if a window was open somewhere in the house. It's mad but rats can pick up on smells and sounds that we might not notice or are unable to notice.

Back