Change in behaviour

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tash88

Hi, so random question.

We have 3 rats, nothing is new or different, no change in food or routine etc. We let our girls out most nights to have free run. 4 days ago one of our girls (Bella) decided she didn't want to come out which sometimes does happen with our girls, but we like to give them the option. Anyway today is the 4th day she hasn't come out. She seems fine in her self apart from not wanting to come out.

She is roughly 1year and 10months old, chest sounds clear, no lumps or bumps, eating and drinking like normal.

Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if i should be worried.

Maybe her eyesight is getting poor? My old rat Inky didn’t like to come out much because he was almost blind and he felt safe in his cage since he knew where he was and was familiar with it. If you catch her on her hind legs swaying back and forth that means she’s trying to see better, that’s how I could tell my boy’s sight was bad.

Thanks for getting back to me.
As far as I can tell I wouldn't say it was her eyes, I know the swaying you mean, I had a previous girl tulip, who did that, but obvs I can't be 100% that it's not her eye sight.

I have managed to encourage her out once with treats, and by putting a blanket over the entrance to their cage and once she was out she was fine, running around, chasing her sisters and jumping up on the sofa. But apart from that one time she has no interest in coming out.

I'm just a but worried as I've not had any other rats do this. Should I be worried by this? I'm just not sure.

If the only change you are seeing is she prefers to stay in the cage sometimes that's ok. She's normal the rest of the time correct? Eats fine, grasps evenly with both front paws, doesn't seem confused?

Hi yea, seems totally fine the rest of the time, eating, drinking normal, fur is not standing up, grips food fine, doesn't seem confused at all. Apart from not coming out to play she seems her normal happy self.

Her cage mates are the same sort of age. She (Bella) and one of her sisters (daisy) we adopted so there ages are a bit of a guess, we were told their previous owner sadly passed away. Her other sister (dutches) who we had before them, with her sadly now passed sister (lady) is about the same maybe slightly older. Dutches is showing signs of ageing, slowing down etc.
Thankyou everyone for your advise, I really appreciate it.

Back