Caring for rats with a newborn human? Advice?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueekyBerry

Hello! So long time rat mom but now first time human mom. (Only 5 days now)

I was just wondering if any other rat/human moms had advice for handling care and loving rats but with the safety of a newborn?

INFO: I have 5 males, all 10months old(gotten from breeders if that matters). There cage is located in the bedroom and have only ever been in the bedroom. We currently have a bassinet in the bedroom for night and one in the living room for during the day.

So far in general I wash my hands after touching and visiting them at there cage. During free time I usually sit on the floor with them to play but will wash up and change my clothes after.

Has anyone ever had any issues or reactions? Is there enough separation even though our bedroom is rat ground zero? And open to just any general 'i had no issue' stories too! Thanks!

It may be good for the baby to grow and get immunities from the rats.....when it gets older, start bringing her in contact with them. Use an air purifier if need be.

Back