Caring for an old rat with a tumor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufintherat

Hi everyone! My baby Mufin is a little over 2 1/2 years old, and she developed a tumor a few months ago (probably December). Since then, her tumor has been rapidly growing, and now it is about the size of a fairly large tangerine. It’s located in her abdomen area, mainly on the her left side. Her personality and energy levels are the same, and she still has an enormous appetite and drinks water regularly. However, I noticed in the last few days that, due to the size of her tumor, she’s been having a very difficult time grooming herself. I imagine this issue, and other issues, will only get worse as the tumor grows.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any tips for caring for an older rat? I know I’ve read that eventually I need to take down the ramps/levels in her cage in order to decrease the chances of her falling, but is there anything else that I should implement now or in the near future when her symptoms worsen? I just want to make sure that I can provide her with the best possible life and care as she continues to get older.

Thanks for your help :)

Back