Caring for a sick rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what you know is it possible for her to have suffered from a stroke?
From what I am observing, one of her sides is recovering faster than the other.
If you're seeing improvement then more likely a stroke than a PT I think? (fingers crossed with HOPE!)

Mishi improved significantly last few days. She is still not the rat she was before she got sick, but she is getting better every day. For a few days she is eating hard foods on her own. I am still giving her some soft food and water with syringe, but she is eating on her own and her appetite is getting better. She lost several (20) grams from her last exam but in general her condition have improved. Today she weighed 190 grams.

Today we were on control exam and the vet thinks she has "Encephalitozoon Cuniculi" (I may be wrong in the translation). It is not very common disease in rats. From now on we are stopping her antibiotics, and we will only give her the antiparasitic drug for 14 more days.

Also one of her baytril burns just fell off. One more to go :)

One of the young doctors in the clinic also had few rats before... so everyone there loves rats. From what I see they are quite happy that we have the money and time to spend on Mishi. It is great to find people who understand the feeling to own a pet rat :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great news! I’ve never heard of that condition before but I am by no means an expert on rat illnesses and it sounds like your vet knows what they’re talking about if treatment is working. Thanks for the update!

Mishi passed away last night ;(

The most absurd dead after everything we went trough... I still cannot believe it. She got away from her cage and in the morning I found her dead next to me. I don't know exactly what happened, but probably I have pressed her in my sleep. She looked very peaceful and happy, and her eyes were closed, so I think she was sleeping when she died. She loved sleeping next to me.

I'm SO sorry! I doubt you pressed her in your sleep, she just succumbed to her illness.
I have many times had my rats come to me before they died, even jumping off heights they never jumped before, and even some that were stand-offish in their lives. They know what you have done for them, and they come for comfort, and to say Thankyou. You have been incredibly wonderful parents to her and she knew that.
My heart goes out to you.

Last edited:
I agree with @Fidget. I don’t think it was absurd at all. I think she wanted to say goodbye and you were the safest place she could think of for her last moments.

I'm so so sorry about Mishi. You did everything you could for her. Right before my girl died all she wanted to do was sit right up against my neck. She wanted to be with you in her last moments.

I’m so sorry! I also agree with what the others said, I think she knew and wanted to be with you, I really don’t think you squished her. It sounds like she had a happy last few days with you though so at least you got that with her.

I am so sorry for your loss.
She was clearly loved and I too, think she wanted to be with the person she loved and who loved her.

That infection your vet thought she had, is very serious, not common in rats, but if that is what she had, she was a very sick girl. (I looked it up, it sounds just awful) It sounds like it's also very difficult to treat.

rest in peace Misha.

Back