Can't Seem To Potty Train My Males

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenL

We have had our 2 male rats for over a month with no end to potty training in sight. There does not seem to be a pattern to where they poop. They poop everywhere. Every hammock, corner and spot they can find. I am not sure if they actually poop in the 2 yesterdays news litter boxes we have. We have one litter box high and one low. I do see them in the litter box. There is a pee rock that looks peed on. Which is encouraging. Even with daily pickup and a couple dirty poos in the litter box each time. Also tried leaving the litter box extra stinky a couple of week in a row. They seem to have no problem laying in poop. Ugg. Any thoughts. I don't over clean though. Only once a week big clean.

I tried switching out the bedding to something else for a couple weeks. The litter has constantly been the same. Maybe they don't like the feel of the litter? I am guessing they might just be uninterested in litter training. For those that do the "treat" training method. How in the world do you see them pooping? Like do you shove your entire head in the cage to try and see behind them? Lol.

Male rats (in my experience) are more stubborn on not using the litter box, make sure your putting all the poop not in the box inside, and maybe put a litter box on a second level if you don't have one there. Is there no place they poop the most?

Male rats (in my experience) are more stubborn on not using the litter box, make sure your putting all the poop not in the box inside, and maybe put a litter box on a second level if you don't have one there. Is there no place they poop the most?
They don't seem to have a spot. I thought about removing all the bottom play items this week just to see if there seemed to be a corner they preferred. They poo on every level and in every sleepy spot.

I have this issue too. I started to put all the poo in their litter box but that never seemed to help. I just clean their poo out every day. There are videos where you can train your rats so every time they go in the litter box they get a treat. I love my boys but they are pooping machines.

Back