Can't Potty Train My Males

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by KitKat, Aug 10, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 10, 2018 #1

KitKat

KitKat

KitKat

My new four boys go potty in just about any corner of their cage, including the top shelf next to their food bowl. I've put a litter box in one corner, and have tried moving their mess into it every hour to try and get them to go in it instead, but with no luck. It would be fine if they only went in their cage, but when I try to let them out for playtime they will go anywhere and everywhere and I don't know what to do about it. I have a specific blanket I use for when I hold them, clean their tails, etc. because they always poop and pee on me. Is there any way I can fix this behavior?

My two girls have never done this unless I keep them out of their cage for too long, so I don't know how to deal with it.

2. Aug 12, 2018 #2

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Males are known to mark more their areas. It's going to be a challenge to curb that and you might not ever had them 100% trained. You could start by adding several litter boxes in the cage and when they go consistently in those, you can start to decrease the litter box. During out time, have litter boxes there too. Always clean up the poops when you see them outside the boxes. As for making with urine... that won't stop. But remember, urine is sterile so no need to be worried about that.

SQ likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2018 #3

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

yes, boys will urine mark their territory, and unneutered boys seem to do it more then neutered boys

4. Aug 17, 2018 at 1:17 PM #4

KitKat

KitKat

KitKat

Is there a way I can deal with the urine smell, then?

5. Aug 17, 2018 at 10:39 PM #5

Noel

Noel

Noel

I put rocks all around the bottom of my boys cage with the litter box in one corner. In 2 days they he was just using the litterbox. When I take him out during the day to play now in his play pen, he only goes in the litterbox in there now too.