Canadian Distributor of the CN-update on shipping

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Twitch, can I have her contact info so I can get another quote. My sister wants to buy two. We were going to buy through our Pet Valu but it would take at least 3 months.
Jo I can pick up CN's on any Thursday providing they are ordered by Tuesday. I get mine from Global. If you have Global up there they can order it in for you as well. Paid $340 including taxes.

Not sure if its Richmond Hill or Thornhill. Street is Doncaster, thats just north of Steeles off Yonge.
Can even order over the phone cause they don't want payment until you pick up.

Thanks Maple, I'll let my sister know.
What it boils down to is the price of the cage plus shipping but in this case it would be pick up. So it might end up being an extra $100 anyways.

Why the extra $100. If your picking up, its $340. If you can't pick it up I could probably get it for you. Your coming for Rat Fest right?

Maple said:
Why the extra $100. If your picking up, its $340. If you can't pick it up I could probably get it for you. Your coming for Rat Fest right?

Ya, but I don't want to cart around 2 massive cages in my car, we aren't going directly home after the fest, we are doing some shopping on Monday. :?

I emailed Joanne who runs the Healthy bird store.....she is so nice. To save me shipping she has offered to bring my cage to NS when she comes to visit her family. I am not totally sure if I can afford one right now....but I thought it was wonderful of her to offer.

twitch said:
I will be going up to Healthybird on Thursday to discuss them possibly becoming a canadian distributor of midwest critter nation cages. They order cages for birds for resale, so perhaps they would be interested in doing the same for the coveted critter nation. However, I doubt they would want to do it if there wasn't any market for it. If I can see there being a demand for it, it would be LOADS cheaper to buy from a canadiin distributor then have it shipped across border plus exchange and border fees. So by show of postings, who would be interested in buying from a canadian distributor?

I Would buy like 3 of them

Eagle:

They seen to have an intro price on CN that looks to be VERY good. Way less than I paid for the one I just ordered. I contacted them to see how much shipping is cause if it isn't too much I may see if I can cancel my other order. My original one is on back order anyway.

Lisa

Just got a new cage that is kind of hard to clean and not as good quality as a CN. Would love to get one still if a more reasonble price than petstores and online....

After checking your cage set-ups, I started feeling bad about my Hanzy MK-22 (http://www.hanzycanada.com/details.php?recordID=MK-22) I originally bought for 3 rats, but that will soon be holding 6. I started looking at what you were saying about your best cages and decided on the Midwest Critter Nation Double. I am reviving this topic to ask whether any of you got more updates on CN distributors in Canada? I've got Healthy Bird and Flower Town Chinchilla in my favorites, but as I am located in Montreal, I was kind of hoping to be saving on shipping fees...

A big excited PLEASE!!! from Picolo, Chatouille, Mimi, Chipie, Pollux and Mac... :wink2:

Phone around to stores, esp pet supply stores that do not sell animals to find out who is selling it and to try to get the best price.
Both the CN and the FN are made by midwest. Check with them to see who their distributors are.
There are distributers in Ontario and likely in Quebec as well. For example: Flower Town Chinchillas in Brampton, ON is reported to be selling the CN at good prices.

This particular disributor (Healthy Bird) is one of two in the maritimes and has the best prices that I am aware of in this area.

btw, rats need at least 2 cubic feet of cage space per rat, more is better. There are cage calculators on the internet to assist you in calculating this.

Unepuce said:
After checking your cage set-ups, I started feeling bad about my Hanzy MK-22 (http://www.hanzycanada.com/details.php?recordID=MK-22) I originally bought for 3 rats, but that will soon be holding 6. I started looking at what you were saying about your best cages and decided on the Midwest Critter Nation Double. I am reviving this topic to ask whether any of you got more updates on CN distributors in Canada? I've got Healthy Bird and Flower Town Chinchilla in my favorites, but as I am located in Montreal, I was kind of hoping to be saving on shipping fees...

A big excited PLEASE!!! from Picolo, Chatouille, Mimi, Chipie, Pollux and Mac... :wink2:

Unepuce, I don't think there are any distributors here. There are knockoffs kicking about, I have one as well as a CN, but they are not as good (don't offer a full level in the middle and both doors can't be opened without removing the shelves) and are pretty pricey (mine was bought for $400 last year by the person who gave it to me.)

I know there are companies like this http://shiptotheborder.com/finding-your ... ng-address that allow you to ship to them and pick up on the other side of the border. I don't know how much it costs for the service but it's something to look into since many U.S dealers offer free shipping within the U.S. The CN is manufactured in the U.S., so you will only be responsible for the sales tax on your way back.

All Pets Furniture currently has the double for $230 U.S.D. with free shipping (but it is out of stock) http://www.allpetfurniture.com/Midwest- ... W1242.html and Pet Street Mall has it for $235 but it's also back ordered http://www.petstreetmall.com/Critter-Na ... tails.html

Otherwise, I think Flowertown is the way to go, they are closer and cheaper than Healthy Bird.

If you can get one, do so, you will not regret it. They are so much better than most other cages.

I hope that you can find someone who would pick up a CN for you at Flower Town.

I got mine at Healthy Bird, and they were great. Getting them shipped from the US may seem cheap, but it can be a problem if there is something wrong with the cage (e.g. something broken or chipped).

Good luck!

Ok... breakthrough!!!

Victoria, I just found this site - http://www.animauxbouffe.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_93&products_id=164 - a pet store in Ste-Julie that seems to sell the CN cage for $299.99!!! Haven't investigated yet, but sure am on it.

BTW - I tried to get an idea of the real-life size of the CN double cage - ouch!!!! I am more than willing to spend that money on my ratties - was about to - but this is HUGE for for 6 rats! Plus, my ratties share a room with my 3 guinea pigs (another 7 feet long cage) and 2 computer desks, and I do not live is a castle - space is limited! My current Hanzy fits on my desk (I'm stuck between both cages, but I don't mind, I love the proximity!) but the CN would not - too large! I'm still considering the CN and the headache to find room for it, but only go for the Single and add a shelf... What do you experts think?

The double doesn't take anymore room from the floor, it goes upward. If you'll get the single then why not the double? I personally find one single too small for 6 rats. It's quite doable but I prefer my rats to have a lot more room.

6 in a single would need lots of out time daily.

Back