Can you skip a day of antibiotics?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueakyBois

I have to go out of town for a few days in a little over a week, but just started my boys on a month-long round of antibiotics (doxy and baytril). I give it to them twice a day. Would it mess up the healing process if I skipped a day or two? What about just one or two doses (my roommate might be able to give them a couple, but he's also leaving so there'd still be I think one dose that no one would be around for.

I would suggest that if you need to leave them behind, you hire a pet sitter to come in and check on them twice a day, to feed them, change their water, and give medication …. unless you have friends or family you can trust to take care of them. Even if they were not on medication, you would need to have someone checking on them once or twice a day.
Make sure you have at least two sources of water in the cage, at least one source needs to be a water dish that can not be upset.
It is not ok to skip medication, will cause them to become more ill, and may make the antibiotics less effective

Ok thank you. I know it's generally the case with human antibiotics that you shouldn't skip a dose, so figured it would be the same, but just thought I'd check since it's complicated in our building to have someone stop by. It's only a day between when my roommate leaves and I get back, though, so I can probably figure something out.

I also didn't realize you need someone coming daily if you aren't home. Is it ever ok to leave them for, say 24-48 hours by themselves? I had heard that was fine if you left enough food and water, but is that wrong? I know it would suck to not give them playtime for a couple day. I'm also not planning on it, I rarely leave town and I do have a roommate, but had just assumed that was a potential backup plan if I leave town and they aren't on medication.

Some people will leave them for 24 hours, but I do not. Rats can become ill and die fast without medical care, and other things can happen such as temperature changes, lack of water, accidents can happen (such as getting a foot caught in a ladder and hanging upside down, falling, getting head caught in a hole chewed in a hammock, etc) so it is best to have someone check on them at least once a day.
Every summer rats die from a lack of water, when their water bottles become clogged and their water dishes are filled with bedding or upset - one reason why it is important to have at least 2 sources of water in a cage and to check twice a day.

Last edited:
Back