can you have 2 males together?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brook

I got my first male yesterday and got another one today and just within ten minutes they fight and shared a hut. I get both sides when I search the internet and believed friends here can help me more. Can I have 2 males together with a big enough cage?

Welcome! I usually leave replies to more experienced members, but I think you should see this ASAP. If the rats are over 12 weeks old, you need to make introductions gradual otherwise they could feel threatened suddenly sharing space with a stranger and one of them could get hurt.

I’ve introduced a few boys following the technique outlined in this thread: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/introducing-new-rats.34842/#post-491257

It works really well in my experience. All the introductions have gone very smoothly. Please give that thread a good read!

Another question – do you have rats or mice? I just saw that you posted another thread regarding the dietary requirements of mice. Rats and mice are different animals with different behavioral patterns and different needs. I don’t know too much about mice, but I’ve heard from a friend that male mice are much harder to introduce. If they are mice – particularly if they’re in a small space – this may be a very dangerous situation! Please seek out more information from someone with experience with mice in the case that they are mice rather than rats. If you’re uncertain, feel free to post some photos and I’m sure someone here can help identify them. I completely understand mixing the two of them up – in my native language there’s only one word for mice and rats, so my mom mixes up the names of the two all the time when she speaks English.

For more information about rats, the reference thread has a lot of useful links. It has information on housing, food, and everything you might be curious about!

https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Yes males can most certainly be housed together. Are they babies? If so, they are playing. Babies play rough. As long as there's no fur flying, or blood, you're fine. If they are mice, you can't house males together. It very rarely works out. Females can be. Also, look at www.joinrats.com for socializing info. There's lots of good info on there you should read.

Welcome to the forum!! :)

Male rats can be housed together but if introducing new rats and o=any are more then 12 weeks old, then they must be gradually and carefully introduced so that no one is hurt or killed. Please see the information suggested above

If they are male mice, then males can not live with other males as they will kill one another.
A male mouse can however be introduced to 2 female ASFs and live happily with them

Back