Can sudden gas be a sign of a tumor?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricketnbowie

I put my 26month old to sleep last week and although I know it was the right thing, I still feel so plagued by guilt and “what-ifs”. Around November I noticed he had softer stools and was tooting a lot. Like, all the time. He had never passed gas before. I stopped giving treats and just fed lab blocks but it didn’t stop the gas, just the loose stools. I took him to the vet and they said he seemed fine, probably just wasn’t agreeing with something he ate. In December I thought I felt a lump in his stomach, just a hard ball on his belly. Around this time he started doing the owie stretch, so I took him back to the vet. He was still gassy and having loose stools. Vet said they didn’t notice any masses but he wasn’t breathing great so we put him on antibiotics. This brought his energy up but he was still dropping weight despite eating. His belly was bloated. After finishing the antibiotics he was doing great, like 110%, but then very suddenly went downhill so I brought him to the vet AGAIN. I took him to a different vet this time, who found a mass where I originally thought I felt something back in November. He was dehydrated so she injected him with fluids and we got him some pain meds, hoping he would perk up and be able to live comfortably with the mass. I don’t want to recount how he looked the next day as it is traumatizing but I had to rush him back to the vet for an emergency appointment. She said euthanasia was all we could do.

The vet was reassuring that the mass in his belly felt like a big, ugly tumor. She said she had no doubt that I did the right thing by putting him to sleep. I just feel so much guilt. I can’t stop worrying that it was just a gas bubble and I didn’t do enough for him. I loved him so much, I hope I did the absolute best for him.

No, it was a mass from all his symptoms. Your gut was right. There should be no guilt on your part.

Your reassurance means a lot. It was such a tremendous loss I am still feeling all the emotions. Is there anything I can do to prevent tumors in the future? This is the first Rat that I lost

Back