Can rats have cooked red lentils?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imjessiegee

I was planning on feeding my rats cooked red lentils/red split lentils. Do they have to be left to soak? Or can they be soaked quickly and cooked?

I would treat it as though you're cooking these lentils for human safety. Raw lentils and beans are a no-no. If they are cooked properly I'm certain they are safe, but I'm not a rat expert either so don't rely solely on my words!

Maybe someone else can answer your question about soaking time, but the general rule of thumb is if it's not safe for humans (especially children) it's not safe for rats.

I make my rats veg and bean soup ..... I soak the beans and lentils overnight, and then cook them along with various vegs to make a homemade soup (no added salt) which they love.

I don't think lentils need to be soaked like beans do, just rinsed in a strainer and anything not lentils picked out - but you might want to google this

Last edited:
Red lentils are the fastest and easiest to cook. They don't need to be soaked overnight. A good rinsing and 20 minutes of simmering is all they need. Split peas on the other hand need longer. A good rinsing, and a simmer of an hour. Also, I've read that cooking legumes with a bay leaves helps with the gassy situation, in humans at least.

Back