Can rats get sick from eating too much?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivy.garrett

I have read online that they have the ability to eat just when they’re hungry but for some reason my babies always seem to be hungry and i’m scared that giving them food such as Yogis will make them sick even if they are made for rats and other small animals.

Yogies are just pure sugar and fat, not a good treat at all. Try cheerios or something more healthy instead.

Baby rats are bottomless pits for food as they are growing. I free-feed my rats and most do well and only eat when hungry. You need a good staple diet then supplement with veggies and other things. Do you have a good rat block or pellet you are feeding?

Welcome to the forum :)

As lilspaz68 said, yogies are pure sugar and very unhealthy for rats. Sugar feeds cancer.
Babies are growing fast and this need to eat a lot. From time to time they will develop little pot bellies as they grow and that is normal.
Rats need to always have a good quality low protein rat block available (Oxbow. Harlan 2014, and Science Select are recommended). Mixes are very bad for rats as rats will only eat the parts they prefer and not get complete nutrition. Mixes also often contain things that rats should not eat.
Rats also need a variety of daily vegs, and occasional healthy treats such as berries, a piece of fruit, a few cooked beans, a few cooked chick peas, a few kumut puffs (organic nature path cereal that does not have any additives - cheerios have been found to contain GNMOs and high levels of pesticides)

Items sold at pet stores are often unhealthy or even dangerous for pets, especially any medications.

Please see our Reference Thread for important information on diet, the forbidden foods list etc REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Back