Can Norway rats and black rats get along?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotic

Can Norway rats and black rats get along, and live in the same cage? I now know they are different species, and we have not had success with gentle introductions for a month.

We were not aware that we got a whole new species of rat when we picked out Pretzel.
We had 3 Norway rats. Pretzel looked different, acted different, but we were like "she is a lot friendlier, and cuter". We had no idea that they are really different, like horses and donkeys.

Pretzel is not being friendly towards the Norwegians, she is quick to bite. We left them together for an hour once by accident, and poor Peanut lost some fur.

Has anyone had any success in keeping Norway and black rats in the same cage?

Hmmm. Black rats aren't usually domesticated, although you hear of a lot of rat owners in Florida, etc taking in an orphaned baby and raising them. I don't offhand remember if Rattus Rattus (black) was able to live with Rattus Norvegicus (brown). You are sure you have a Roof Rat?

I am not sure. The reason why we thought we have a roof rat is that Pretzel looks very different, and very much like what you see when you search for Rattus Rattus: rattus rattus - Google Search

Here are the suspect: Pretzel, and the obviously Norwegian Peanut.

Attachments

• Peanut.jpg
    Peanut.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Pretzel.jpg
    Pretzel.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 283
I am not sure. The reason why we thought we have a roof rat is that Pretzel looks very different, and very much like what you see when you search for Rattus Rattus
You're correct that Pretzel is genetically closer to his wild ancestors than Peanut is, in that Peanut is a dumbo rat which means (although his early ancestors all had smallish ears on the top of their head like Pretzel does etc) through selective breeding, Peanut and possibly many of his grandparents before him, were born with their ears on the sides of their head (and other more minor differences too). Breeding can change the look, health & behavior tendencies, but they're still all Norways. Peanut is a dumbo Norway. Pretzel is a standard ear (or "top eared" or "normal eared") Norway.

> This is a video of full grown roof rats that were domesticated.

That video is great. The little roofies are just like Pretzel: always on the move, friendly. Peanut is a lot more reserved, and does not move around as much.

Hopefully, they'll be friends one day.

My Norway Zirna is ALWAYS on the move and super sweet.! While Iris is calm and sweet- it all depends on the personality < 3

My Norway Zirna is ALWAYS on the move and super sweet.! While Iris is calm and sweet- it all depends on the personality < 3
We're talking about Standard Ear Norways being more lively & Dumbo Norways being more calm. Is Iris a dumbo? Is Zirna a standard-ear?

Within Rattus Norvegicus there are some different types but also some huge personality differences. Ear placement usually doesn't have that much to do with it. It sounds like Pretzel is a high energy potentially more dominant female. When you say she doesn't get along with your boy,what behaviors are you seeing? Girls often dominate males. Is there chases,wounds, or lots of sidekicks, pinning and power grooming that makes him eep?

Btw, Pretzel is a Norway. Pretzel isn't a black rat. The OP has just a rat that's black, not a black rat. Many rats that are black are brown rats, and many rats that are brown are black rats. (I'm mentioning this in case future viewers of the thread get confused.)

As Lilspaz68 said, both Pretzel and Peanut are domesticated/pet Norway rats. Even rats in the same litter can have a variety of colours, markings, ear placement, and of course each has their own personality. Depending on factors such as age and personality, some rats are more outgoing and energetic then other rats.

Please respond to Lilspaz68's questions.
Btw, rats need to be gradually introduced to one another as rats over 12 weeks old view new rats as potential threats.
How old are your rats?
How was Pretzel introed to your other ratties?

For information on introducing ratties, please see Introducing new rats and joinrats.com You might also find our Reference Thread to be of interest REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

> When you say she doesn't get along with your boy,what behaviors are you seeing?

Both Peanut and Pretzel are females. Peanut is not an alpha, in spite of being the biggest, strongest, rat we have. Pretzel is.

One thing that might be driving them batty is that we have a large CritterNation double cage that we've divided into two parts. Pretzel lives on top, and the rest of the rats on the bottom. The bottoms are free to roam around the room in the afternoon, and they often climb onto the door, near the top, and stare. Even during the day, they'll come to the opening between the floors and sit and wiggle.

Every once in a while, we tried introducing Pretzel to Peanut. Peanut is usually like, "I am just going to casually stroll around". And Pretzel is like "I have to sniff Peanut, and follow her everywhere", kind of gets into Peanut's face. This lasts for a minute, or two, maybe with some dominance side display too, and then Pretzel initiates a scruffle, and we separate them.

Once we left Pretzel's cage door open. Later, we found Peanut very upset, with missing fur, and scratches around her shoulders. We kept them apart for a few weeks afterwards....

Please check out the links I previously posted to find info on how to do an intro.
Please do proper intros between Pretzel and your other rats, as she will be much happier living with other rats

Back