Can my rats spend the weekend alone?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live 40 min from my college where i live with my rats. there they have an appropriate sized cage. however at my house the only cage is super small and i feel horrible putting them in there :( the 2 times i’ve bought them home i found they just tend to hide in the cage and don’t come out at all. they also just seem very stressed from the sudden change and also the car ride. I was wondering if it was just better to leave them for weekend trips. Obviously I’ll have to pack up their big cage for christmas break but i was thinking they can be ok for two days if i leave extra food? it seems better then the stress of bringing them home.

They are probably ok for 2 days, make sure they have plenty of water sources like a couple of bottles and maybe a bowl of water as well. I would also leave a radio on too.

I would never leave rats for 2 days unless I had someone to come by once or twice a day to check on them - to make sure the temperature is ok, that they have food and water (water dishes can be filled with bedding and water bottles can clog), and no one is ill, having breathing problems or injured.
At times when I have had to leave my rats for a few days I have had a knowledgeable person or a pet sitter come by twice a day.

Last edited:
I live 40 min from my college where i live with my rats. there they have an appropriate sized cage. however at my house the only cage is super small and i feel horrible putting them in there :( the 2 times i’ve bought them home i found they just tend to hide in the cage and don’t come out at all. they also just seem very stressed from the sudden change and also the car ride. I was wondering if it was just better to leave them for weekend trips. Obviously I’ll have to pack up their big cage for christmas break but i was thinking they can be ok for two days if i leave extra food? it seems better then the stress of bringing them home.

Do you have any roommates? If I was going to leave my girlies at Uni for a weekend I'd probably ask one of my roomates to check in on them. If not, then I have a friend with a spare key to my student house and I'd probably ask her to check in on them. You just never know, anything could happen.

Do you have any roommates? If I was going to leave my girlies at Uni for a weekend I'd probably ask one of my roomates to check in on them. If not, then I have a friend with a spare key to my student house and I'd probably ask her to check in on them. You just never know, anything could happen.
unfortunately i don’t have any roommates, only a suitemate who goes home most weekends. i’m going to see if i can get an out of state friend to check in on them

Back