Can I give my rat dirt?

Discussion in 'Habitat' started by sweetcherrykai, Oct 16, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2019 #1

sweetcherrykai

sweetcherrykai

sweetcherrykai

to preface this i unfortunately live in a very small dorm room with my girls so having one of those awesome fridge sized cages for them isn’t possible. while their cage does fit the minimum requirements i always worry about them being bored in it. it’s why they’re allowed to roam the room when i’m there to supervise. however they are stuck in the cage when i have class or even unfortunately for a whole day if i have to return home since i noticed taking them with me seems to only cause more stress. recently i bought a little potted rose plant. the girls were roaming and a few minutes in i caught both of them digging through the pot and pull out the flowers! they actually seemed to be having a lot of fun but i wasn’t sure if it was safe to play with especially since barbara will try and eat anything. so i was wondering, can i give my rats a certain type of dirt to dig and play in? are there a certain type of flower that they can safely munch on? it seems like a fun activity for the girls :)

2. Oct 16, 2019 #2

TheFatRatGirl

TheFatRatGirl

TheFatRatGirl

Hiya, my rats love to dig! I've inserted a picture of Pearl in her digging box. :)

All you need is a soil that's free on any pesticides/insecticides/plant feed. Just plain soil. Then add some rat-safe herbs. Mine love watercress, basil, mint and coriander. I also plant wheatgrass seeds and let them sprout. The rats love digging them up. smalls.jpg

Tesslalala and Evermore like this.
  3. Oct 16, 2019 #3

Evermore

Evermore

Evermore

TheFatRatGirl covered the safety concerns above! This is definitely something rats seem to love, and something I want to eventually do. The addition of rat-safe herbs also sounds brilliant.

4. Oct 19, 2019 #4

sweetcherrykai

sweetcherrykai

sweetcherrykai

she is the cutest thing ever!!!!!!! yes i’m so excited to let the girls have some fun

TheFatRatGirl likes this.
  5. Oct 20, 2019 #5

TheFatRatGirl

TheFatRatGirl

TheFatRatGirl

Thankyou! I'm a bit biased but I agree :D