Can I give my rat dirt?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to preface this i unfortunately live in a very small dorm room with my girls so having one of those awesome fridge sized cages for them isn’t possible. while their cage does fit the minimum requirements i always worry about them being bored in it. it’s why they’re allowed to roam the room when i’m there to supervise. however they are stuck in the cage when i have class or even unfortunately for a whole day if i have to return home since i noticed taking them with me seems to only cause more stress. recently i bought a little potted rose plant. the girls were roaming and a few minutes in i caught both of them digging through the pot and pull out the flowers! they actually seemed to be having a lot of fun but i wasn’t sure if it was safe to play with especially since barbara will try and eat anything. so i was wondering, can i give my rats a certain type of dirt to dig and play in? are there a certain type of flower that they can safely munch on? it seems like a fun activity for the girls :)

Hiya, my rats love to dig! I've inserted a picture of Pearl in her digging box. :)

All you need is a soil that's free on any pesticides/insecticides/plant feed. Just plain soil. Then add some rat-safe herbs. Mine love watercress, basil, mint and coriander. I also plant wheatgrass seeds and let them sprout. The rats love digging them up.
smalls.jpg

TheFatRatGirl covered the safety concerns above! This is definitely something rats seem to love, and something I want to eventually do. The addition of rat-safe herbs also sounds brilliant.

Hiya, my rats love to dig! I've inserted a picture of Pearl in her digging box. :)

All you need is a soil that's free on any pesticides/insecticides/plant feed. Just plain soil. Then add some rat-safe herbs. Mine love watercress, basil, mint and coriander. I also plant wheatgrass seeds and let them sprout. The rats love digging them up.View attachment 13232

she is the cutest thing ever!!!!!!! yes i’m so excited to let the girls have some fun

Back