Can boys live with girls?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juste

So i have 2 boys, they should be around 1 year old and they are neutered.
And i kinda want to get more rats.. i really liked the ones i found, they are young 7weeks old girls.
Now my neighbour has 2 girl rats and we used to do play dates for them 😁 they got along really nice, but his girls were much older and i don't know how my boys would react to baby girls coming to live with them.
My boys are just so sweet and never bite. While my neighbour rats bite if you stick your hands into their cage. So i don't know what to expect from these baby girls. Do they get hormonal and agresive? (I neutered my boys to avoid any hormonal agresion that could occur, but i don't trust vets enough to let them do that on girls). How girls and boys character different? Could girl/ boy combo work? Or should i just look for boys?

And whould it be ok to keep them if i separate in top and bottom cage while they get to know each other.
20210918_230527.jpg

Last edited:
My neutered boys LOVED their girls! I had them in a cage with 3 girls. 2 died, and one of my males died. So now I just have one boy and an old girl left in that cage. It seemed to keep my boys young and lively. Girls are a lot more active, but they all got along perfect. I'm about to intro my remaining boy to my other cage of girls, so he's not alone when baby dies...

My neutered boys LOVED their girls! I had them in a cage with 3 girls. 2 died, and one of my males died. So now I just have one boy and an old girl left in that cage. It seemed to keep my boys young and lively. Girls are a lot more active, but they all got along perfect. I'm about to intro my remaining boy to my other cage of girls, so he's not alone when baby dies...
And your girls, were they spayed or not?
And about smell, my neighbours girls smell pretty bad, they are not neutered. And i just wonder, because before geting my boys i read that boys are more smelly than girls 😁
I am just so excited that my boyfriend actually letting me add more rats😅 and i would really loved to experience that boy/girl difference myself.

No. My girls are not spayed. Most of my girls were really clean. The ones I have now are well, not the best at using a litter box. They literally just go beside it, and wherever they want. But most of them are rescues that weren't kept in the best conditions. But if they get stinky, I use a non scented baby wipe to wipe them down. My boys that were neutered before, were stinky. It's their pee when combined with hormones that's usually stinky. They were also pretty wiry feeling. But my neutered boys were so super soft and clean. I think you'll enjoy seeing the differences between the sexes. In my opinion, all rats are great! 😁

No. My girls are not spayed. Most of my girls were really clean. The ones I have now are well, not the best at using a litter box. They literally just go beside it, and wherever they want. But most of them are rescues that weren't kept in the best conditions. But if they get stinky, I use a non scented baby wipe to wipe them down. My boys that were neutered before, were stinky. It's their pee when combined with hormones that's usually stinky. They were also pretty wiry feeling. But my neutered boys were so super soft and clean. I think you'll enjoy seeing the differences between the sexes. In my opinion, all rats are great! 😁
In the beginning one of my boys used to pee on others head.. so i would let them play in water and wash them sometimes. But now they seem tidy 😁 i definitely will enjoy! If i can get my hands on them..somehow its hard to find the type i want in london..

I agree having the combination is a wonderful idea and I would highly recommend it ! Any animal can have a little bit of stink but I like to say a rats only as clean as it's cage ! If the cage is filthy the odds are they will not smell pleasant at all, the look of your cage is very nice and if for some reason they don't get along you can absolutely keep some on the top and some on the bottom, the only thing I would worry about is making a small border around the bottom of the second layer in case someone's tail slips through and someone on the bottom decides to strike, hopefully you won't have any issues though !

I agree having the combination is a wonderful idea and I would highly recommend it ! Any animal can have a little bit of stink but I like to say a rats only as clean as it's cage ! If the cage is filthy the odds are they will not smell pleasant at all, the look of your cage is very nice and if for some reason they don't get along you can absolutely keep some on the top and some on the bottom, the only thing I would worry about is making a small border around the bottom of the second layer in case someone's tail slips through and someone on the bottom decides to strike, hopefully you won't have any issues though !
Thanks 😊 yes i am planing to do scatter guards or something like that. So i could try and make it on both levels.

Yes! You can have boys and girls together as long as they are neutered. For a long time I had two girls, one of them spayed, and then I got two neutered boys and they get along great. None of them have ever gotten into a fight but they love snuggling and playing together.

Yes! You can have boys and girls together as long as they are neutered. For a long time I had two girls, one of them spayed, and then I got two neutered boys and they get along great. None of them have ever gotten into a fight but they love snuggling and playing together.
That makes me so sad right now😄 because i was hoping to meet christmas with new babies, and breeder just told me that she sold all of them already 😅

That makes me so sad right now😄 because i was hoping to meet christmas with new babies, and breeder just told me that she sold all of them already 😅
im so sorry! That sucks. Before I adopted my boys I found one boy who I loved but he was adopted by someone else. Keep looking, you'll find some new rats and love them and you'll be glad the others weren't available. Good luck!

Back