Cagemates not getting along

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jodi l Kish

Hi everyone! I have two male rats, one naked (Dobby) and one albino (Malfoy). They are about 5-6 months old. They have never really gotten along perfectly, each of them wanting to be the dominant one. Lately the fighting has been getting worse and the sounds coming from them is alarming. My naked rat has some battle wounds, mostly just scratches, nothing too bad. I am considering getting them both neutered but I will need some testimonies of those of you who have had this problem and the neutering actually works. Tell me your story and the outcome after the neuter. We have a huge cage that can be divided so I had been separating them at night only. Now during the day they have started to fight even harder. I am worried that even after a neuter they wont get along well if I keep them separated til then (probably a couple of weeks as my vet is only in occasionally and wants to see them both first for an exam before scheduling their neuters). So? What do you all think? I have never had this problem before and I don't want anyone getting injured so feel safer keeping them apart but I know they need a buddy. Usually I agree with the no blood no problem, but they squeak loud long squeaks when they get into it inside a hidey box together or a hammock together where I can't really see what is going on. When out in the cage proper they box and roll around together squeaking and then pinning eachother on the floor. Never really heard rats make these sounds. Little squeaks here and there yes, but not these loud almost cries. I have two feeding stations, several hidey boxes and hammocks in cage so they can each sleep somewhere different. Please someone tell me it worked for you to get them neutered in this situation.

I have decided to just keep them separated for their safety, since the cage is huge they each have a big section when it is divided. Not the best situation as I don't want them to be lonely. đź’” I don't want to put them through neuters if it isn't going to help, and from what I have read, it's not always the fix in this situation. Totally at a loss as all of my previous ratties have just gotten along well. Thank you for all the info I was able to find on this forum.

Neutering might help but if they are both very dominant it will only help so much. They are reaching peak hormone age, so it is very possible that in a month or two when their hormones calm the aggression resolves on its own. It did with my boy who was showing some aggression and dominance towards his cage mates at about 6 months old. Sometimes they get flooded with hormones and dont know what to do with it. Hormonal aggression cant be trained out, but it can get better as it did with my boy. If it doesn't, neutering them will greatly reduce that hormonal aggression. You may also just have to only keep them together occasionally and under supervision and separate them when you're not present.

Thank you, I am going to continue to have them out together unless it gets violent and hope that they grow out of this, I think just having Malfoy neutered would work but in speaking with my vet, we just can't afford it. $280 for the surgery plus a $55 office visit prior to, ya, that is not in the budget right now. Is it normal for it to be that expensive?

Thank you, I am going to continue to have them out together unless it gets violent and hope that they grow out of this, I think just having Malfoy neutered would work but in speaking with my vet, we just can't afford it. $280 for the surgery plus a $55 office visit prior to, ya, that is not in the budget right now. Is it normal for it to be that expensive?
No it is not normal to be that pricy. I paid $104 for my rats neuter and that was including pain meds and a first time consultation with that specific clinic. I had to travel for the clinic but if I fact in the gas towards driving there and back twice that day it still was less than $130

I may have to look farther out for a vet, the only one I found that sees rats happens to be right in town. Considering I can get feral cats spayed/neutered around here for $40, I just figured it would be closer to what you paid to have the ratties done.

I may have to look farther out for a vet, the only one I found that sees rats happens to be right in town. Considering I can get feral cats spayed/neutered around here for $40, I just figured it would be closer to what you paid to have the ratties done.
Exotic vets are high in demand and rare which is why they charge more. Also small mammals surgeries come at a higher risk than dogs and cats. That’s why they are pricier. But the average vet won’t charge more than $150, if they try more go elsewhere. You may have to drive but if it’ll better the quality of life of your pets, one day of driving is a small price to pay

Back