Cage Types: Please give me your input!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure, the only option I could click was the last one, since it would not accept the others, as I am outside of the US, but the e-mail that they sent me with the price was about 15-20 dollars less than what I figured out, so I must have done my math wrong, lol. But then again, it says its estimated, heh.

USPS Priority Mail International [B0R1A0] Shipping: $95.50

It arrived!! I got a call, after waiting all day for them, asking me to set up a way for them to delivery the cage tomorrow, but then I said I could go to them, its only a 1/2 hr drive, lol, so I went and picked it up, and no duties or anything, so double yay!! Now to put it together, lol! Wish me luck :roll:

Ok, here are the pictures! It took us about twice as long as it should have since they had the pieces mis-labled, heh. So after taking it apart, and re-starting, we got it done! The boys are on the top and the girls are on the bottom, and I will need more fleece, not to mention ideas of how to spiffy it up, lol!

2007_1106Image0001.jpg

The whole thing

2007_1106Image0002.jpg

The top half, the boys

2007_1106Image0003.jpg

The bottom half, the girls

2007_1106Image0004.jpg

Logan saying hello

2007_1106Image0005.jpg

Sammy had his head sticking out the window hole, but then moved at the last second

2007_1106Image0006.jpg

Sammy striking a pose

2007_1106Image0007.jpg

Snowy eating something

2007_1106Image0008.jpg

Blurry close up of the previous

2007_1106Image0009.jpg

What would have been a face shot of Abby, only she moved

2007_1106Image0010.jpg

Now Abby is trying to figure out the ramps

2007_1106Image0011.jpg

Missy saying hello now

2007_1106Image0012.jpg

Me next to the cage with a mid-blink, lol!

2007_1106Image0013.jpg

Me and Abby next to the cage to show how big it is

So now I need to get litter boxes, dishes that attach to the side somehow (good thing the hubby is currently unemployed and has alot of time on his hands, and can be very creative, lol) and some of those neat things from the person (the name escapes me) on here who makes em and sells em :lol:

Awesome!! What did you end up using to separate the top from the bottom half?

As for decorating -- hammocks, & tubes! :) Even if you don't have the money at the moment to buy some (which do last for a long time if you don't have crazy chewers), you can make them out of old sweatshirts, tubes out of old pant legs, etc.

And the boxes from those Dole juices in the picture next to the cage -- THOSE will make awesome hidey houses. Rats love boxes!

And the other staple decorating item in my house for the girls would be a 12" wheel.

Looks fantastic though :D

Unfortunatly those boxes are full, hubby had coupons, lol, and then he likes to burn them, but I might be able to swipe a couple after they are empty. Heres a somewhat dumb question, whats the best material for a litter box, for example, is there anything wrong with kitty litter? Or should I used shreaded paper, or shavings, or what? :?:

Oh and as for seperation, I used one of the ramps, just connected it to the top instead of the bottom on the top almost full level, lol

Recycled paper cat litter works well. Like Unscented Yesterdays News cat litter... there are other knock off brands as well.

I was actually refering to the litter-litter, like Maxx-Scoop, which is what I buy for my kitties, but I have a bunch of shreaded paper I can use, I just don't know how long it will last, and if theres nothing wrong with actual kitty litter, I might use that (I have a scoop, came with a habitrail litter box I bought when I first got my first hamster, which he ended up using as a bed >.<)

Stay away from actual litter. Rats are undiscerning and may accidentally ingest some in which case it will totally bung up the system (and possibly be life threatening).

Back