cage question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

September555

I have a quick question about Matin cages. Since I got the two babies today, I will be upgrading to a bigger cage. I was reading this thread for ideas.......on the Rat Lodge (R-680) or any of the Matins actually....I noticed that alot of the balconies or second shelves are made of the same wire as the cages, it is not solid.....would the rats feet get caught or toes or anything in those small squares on the shelves?? I would be concerned for their feet or toes getting caught up and hurting them since the shelves/balconies are not solid? I guess you could line them with felt soft towels like stuff but then they may slip on that or fall down, and I don't want that. Just wanted input on those tiny squares that would seem to harm little toes.

The wire used for the shelves/floors of Martin's cages is entirely rat safe. It's 1/2"x1/2", which keeps feet and toes from getting caught. Rats splay their toes when they walk and they're easily able to grip the wire.

You can cover the shelves if you like, and alot of people do, including myself. I actually have two 680's stacked, and it's become my favorite cage. Using liners is more for ease of cleaning than any concern about the cage causing injury. With bare wire, you'll need to scrub the cage down about once a week or so. With liners, you're able to do that less often. Rats are perfectly capable of walking on fabric, just like you would walk on a rug. If they stumble or anything, they dig in with their nails and really hold on, so there's no real fear of them falling when they're younger.

And just to add, check the underside of your rats' feet, they have little bumps and such. The feet are made to walk on wires and such, but when I had my Martins I did cover the balconies but more for my ease of cleaning.

Thanks for the info. They are little yet, so I have a month or so to look around before they start growing fast. I am just getting ideas...seems everyone likes the martins, I was just concerned with the feet getting caught up. It is hard, they have sooo many cages that would be perfect for rats and big for lots of toys, and fairly priced, but most of them are for guinea pigs, or ferrets and have the 1 inch slots and I know most small females can squeeze through that, and I have no doubt that my feisty girl wouldn't get out, she climbs all over the place as it is.

I am open to other options as well, I am not set on Martins, just sounds like what everyone says is good. So if there are any other suggestions, do tell. I need one that will comfortably house 2 small full grown females. They are babies now, but I know will grow QUICK!! So any other suggestions or great websites to get cages from, I would appreciate.

Thanks
Paula

The thing about any other rat appropriate cages is that you're going to wind up spending just as much as you would on a Martin's. IMO, the Martin's will last you alot longer, too.

All of the Superpet cages that are rat appropriate [as far as I know] cost about the same as a 680 if not more. You could look at some of the larger bird cages, but again, cost may be about the same, and then you have to modify it quite a bit adding levels and such.

Back