Cage for when we travel

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Jacoby

hi there, we own a vacation home and usually travel to it for weekends and a weeks vacation here and there. I have been having a friend come play with my girls when I am up there but really want to be able to take them along with me. They have a double CN at home. I am looking for a cheaper option since it is for “vacation only “ use. Any suggestions?

How many rats do you have? A single critter nation may work. Or petsmart sells one that's made by the same people, but branded for their store. With going back and forth so often, and being there for a week from time to time, you really want them to be as comfortable and stress free as possible. Traveling can stress them, so I'd try to make it as close to their home as possible. Just my opinion. But you may find a couple of websites helpful. Www.joinrats.com and www.ratguide.com

If you have enough space at your vacation home,
then I would suggest a large bin cage to travel in
and a martins large powder coated playpen to live in at your vacation home - it folds up flat for storage
please see martinscages.com

a few old pics of my large martins play pen - it has a top that flips open

btw I no longer use the chew logs because they contain honey and if rats eat them, they can die from intestinal blockage

playpen 2008 with  Extreme Critter Revolution .jpg
October 13, 2017  baby girls in the play pen 6.jpg

Last edited:
How many rats do you have? A single critter nation may work. Or petsmart sells one that's made by the same people, but branded for their store. With going back and forth so often, and being there for a week from time to time, you really want them to be as comfortable and stress free as possible. Traveling can stress them, so I'd try to make it as close to their home as possible. Just my opinion. But you may find a couple of websites helpful. Www.joinrats.com and www.ratguide.com

i have two girls -one is 8ish months and the other 7ish months. I don’t want to stress them out but I miss them terribly when I am away.

and a martins large powder coated playpen to live in at your vacation hone - it folds up flat for storage

btw I no longer use the chew logs because they contain honey are if rats eat them, they can die from intestinal blockage

View attachment 12751 View attachment 12752
I am going to check some measurements and see if I can make some room for this in a spare bedroom. I like that it folds up and can be put away for when they are not with me and we have company. Thank you!

you are welcome ……. it is also easy to transport since it is only about 3 in wide when folded (although 44 in long and 24 in high when folded)

imo one of the best investments people can make ……. mine has come in handy so many times over the years

edit: they do have smaller powder coated play pens but the large one is amazing in my opinion because it gives rats so much room to run and climb and explore and has so much room for hammocks and boxes and toys and tubes

btw I no longer use the chew logs because they contain honey and if rats eat them, they can die from intestinal blockage

IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG

Last edited:
Honestly, any cage will do for small weekend trips. Rats adapt well and it's not like they are going to be living in there for long. I would find a cage that is about 30" long and 18" wide.

Honestly, any cage will do for small weekend trips. Rats adapt well and it's not like they are going to be living in there for long. I would find a cage that is about 30" long and 18" wide.
I lucked out and found a cage last night. It is made by Mcage for parakeets but the bars are spaced 1/2 inch. It is 18x30 and has a couple of ramps and two shelves. I spent the night covering the wire shelves and floors. I set it up in their room at home so they can get used to it! I am so excited to be able to take them with me now :). Thanks so much for replying.

and a martins large powder coated playpen to live in at your vacation home - it folds up flat for storage

View attachment 12751 View attachment 12752
How easy is it to take down the Martins large playpen? I’d like to be able to do it every couple days.

the Martins playpen is easy to fold up unless you've attached a lot of things to the sides LOL then it will take a bit longer to remove that stuff

Back